Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

Hi, hope someone can help me as I'm fed up of trying now..
Bought my cam 2nd hand, the wifi is locked to previous owner. I've downloaded all the updates onto my pc and copied them onto my SD card. I put The card in the cam and nothing happens at all. I've done the firm and wifi update, do all 4 files need to be held in an extracted "update" folder or do the tiles go in individually?
Thanks!
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

@andyjb1986 - You should only need to put the Update file (after it's been unzipped) onto the SD card. Our team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus can help you get your camera set up.

Jeff

Tourist

I am having the exact same issues. Plus mine will cut on and off on its own and especially right when I need it among other issues. Did your problem get resolved?

Explorer

@swiftboost28725

What SD card (make/model/size/class) are you using?  I'm not sure if it is clear from the above messages, but you need to download the Update.zip folder to your computer and then Extract the contents to your computer.  When done you should have a folder called update with several files inside.  Format your SD card and then place the Update folder (not Update.zip) onto your SD card.  Eject the card and then put it into your camera.  Turn the camera on and the update should start automatically.  The camera will turn on and off several times so wait until it is finished before touching the camera (usually about 5-10 minutes).

Tourist

It's a SanDisk 16gig, HC 1, #4. I will follow your advice to the "T" and see if I can get a different result. I'll post when I'm able to try it later today and let you know what happens. Thank you for your help
Explorer

Your problem is the SD card. The #4 is the class. You need class 10 UHS-1 or better.

Try a card from this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

These cards do cost a lot more than the $2 card you're using, but if you want your camera to work properly it's worth it.
Adventurer

Outdated or  old cards in a newer camera get like said XC cards   it is a start right?

Tourist

I followed all your advice. Bought the SanDisk Extreme Plus 32gig UHS-1. Re-downlaoaded the update and "extracted" it into another file. Put the file onto the card and then put it into my GoPro. Turned it on and nothing changed with the screen. Then it started it usual cutting on and off sequesnce it's been doing lately. But never said anything about "Updating" or "Update failed."

Any other suggestions?