Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

I have a GoProHero 3+ Black Edition and it's just frozen. I tried everything, but nothing seems to help. Manual updates don't work (went through all the steps discussed here). Reset doesn't work. But the camera still gets it when there is no SD card inserted since it says "no SD". Therefore, it's literally just a software issue. Any tips?
Thanks!
Highlighted
Explorer

Not sure what you've tried so I might be repeating what you've done.

1) Remove battery and SD card
2) Format SD in your computer
3) Hold down top shutter button
4) While keeping the shutter pressed, insert the battery, wait about 8 seconds and power on (keeping the shutter pressed)
5) If the camera powers on, release the shutter, wait a few seconds and then power off.
6) Insert the SD card and power on the camera
7) Enter the settings menu and select the trash can icon to delete all/format your SD card

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/How-to-Reset-the-Camera-to-Default-Settings

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/NO-SD-or-SD-ERR-on-Camera-s-LCD
Highlighted
Tourist

Yeah my problem is it turns own but after that I can't do anything. Not even turn off. I can only remove the battery to turn it off.
Thanks a lot though!
Highlighted
Explorer

That usually is due to an issue with the SD card. Have you tried different cards (whatever you try, DON'T USE SANDISK ULTRA!).

I remember having my Hero3 lock up once and it actually turned out to be a faulty battery, so that's something you might want to try as well. You can get cheap knock off brands on Amazon to try it out. I'm my case, the battery was providing enough power to turn on the camera but but enough to allow the camera to function.

Also, try the reset process a few more times. Sometimes it doesn't work on the first attempt.

If you do decide to try a new battery, do the reset and manual update with it. This process seems to "unjam" the camera's processor.
Highlighted
Sightseer

@toughcreek77367 wrote:

My next cam will be a Chinese cam from amazon.

I have a Chinese cam from Amazon. If you want choppy, pixelated, blue-tinted, high-contrast, 1080p video from your action cam, then go ahead. In fact, I'm currently selling a Chinese cam for cheap, now that I have a GoPro. Contact me if interested.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks so much!! Had a trip planned and my camera was erroring out on everything. The only way i was able to restore was thru your link!! Thanks again for your time!
Highlighted
Tourist

having the same issue - 

Highlighted
Sightseer

when i go through the update section in the support tab and select Hero3. i can get all the way to the update part but the button is unaccessable. i reset the browser and even tried 2 others. the update button just shows a red circle for my mouse