Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

[ New ]
Hi, hope someone can help me as I'm fed up of trying now..
Bought my cam 2nd hand, the wifi is locked to previous owner. I've downloaded all the updates onto my pc and copied them onto my SD card. I put The card in the cam and nothing happens at all. I've done the firm and wifi update, do all 4 files need to be held in an extracted "update" folder or do the tiles go in individually?
Thanks!
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Go pro hero 3+ won't update!!!

[ New ]

@Anonymous - You should only need to put the Update file (after it's been unzipped) onto the SD card. Our team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus can help you get your camera set up.

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the exact same issues. Plus mine will cut on and off on its own and especially right when I need it among other issues. Did your problem get resolved?

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

What SD card (make/model/size/class) are you using?  I'm not sure if it is clear from the above messages, but you need to download the Update.zip folder to your computer and then Extract the contents to your computer.  When done you should have a folder called update with several files inside.  Format your SD card and then place the Update folder (not Update.zip) onto your SD card.  Eject the card and then put it into your camera.  Turn the camera on and the update should start automatically.  The camera will turn on and off several times so wait until it is finished before touching the camera (usually about 5-10 minutes).

Anonymous

[ New ]
It's a SanDisk 16gig, HC 1, #4. I will follow your advice to the "T" and see if I can get a different result. I'll post when I'm able to try it later today and let you know what happens. Thank you for your help
Explorer

[ New ]
Your problem is the SD card. The #4 is the class. You need class 10 UHS-1 or better.

Try a card from this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

These cards do cost a lot more than the $2 card you're using, but if you want your camera to work properly it's worth it.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Outdated or  old cards in a newer camera get like said XC cards   it is a start right?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I followed all your advice. Bought the SanDisk Extreme Plus 32gig UHS-1. Re-downlaoaded the update and "extracted" it into another file. Put the file onto the card and then put it into my GoPro. Turned it on and nothing changed with the screen. Then it started it usual cutting on and off sequesnce it's been doing lately. But never said anything about "Updating" or "Update failed."

Any other suggestions?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I was very frustrated as well! I finally got it! I have a 3+ Black Edition and it turns out that they are all different. This website has the correct files!

https://om.id.au/software-update-reset-gopro-hero-3-and-4/

Have a blessed day!

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous you are the man! (or woman)

I could not get this figurted out on my go pro silver 3+.... your link did the trick!

Thanks

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have done everything recommended from everyone on here numerous times with no success. I don't know what to do to get it working properly and tired of trying. Not sure if mine is defective or messed up by previous owner? 

Any suggestions for me to take it somwhere for professional assistance before I sell it for a loss? 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Glad it worked for you brother! I was very frustrated until I finally found the correct software! Strange to me that the black edition is different from the silver as far as software?!?!?
Anonymous

[ New ]
Swiftboost did you follow the link and download the correct software for your particular GoPro?
Anonymous

[ New ]

After days of trying; this post finally gave me the link to the software to update it and reset it.

It downloaded ok, and onto SD card. Plugged in an gopro 3+ silver updated automatically!!! Screen said v 3.00 but downloaded from link that said V3.10  Linked to the app and works over the wifi again!!! It then wanted to update so then it went to V3.02 - weird it needs updating again!

(or should I have not let it update itself again???)

Anonymous

[ New ]

After you extract the .zip file it will create a "UPDATE" folder with several files in it. Drap and drop that entire folder to the SD card. Don't drap and drop just the files within the UPDATE folder but the entire folder.

The GoPro step by step instructions show that only the files contained within the "UPDATE" folder need to be dragged and dropped onto the SD card but in my case it didn't work. The entire folder needed to be copied onto the SD.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

[ New ]

You have saved lives today!  Holy mackerel I have been fighting with the damned thing for hours trying to get it to update...following every tutorial to try and get it to connect to the App and nada....your link solved EVERYTHING!  Though now it is wanting to disconnect and tells me the camera is not on...but I am going to put it down for today and consider this progress a victory.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Was going through the same problem earlier today and was going to just go on about my day but I thought I'd help you guys out as I finally solved the problem! I tried new memory cards, formatting, etc. The issue was solved by doing something so simple. See below for the Steps!

Step 1: After following GoPro's instructions on downloading the Zip file with the 4 things you need if updating both firmware + wifi (if only firmware I believe you should have 3 items in the zip folder. (NOTE: Don't double click any of these items after unzipping the folder)

Step 2: Format your memory card through the GoPro itself (this is pretty much self-explanatory)

Step 3: Put in your memory card via SD Card Adaptor into your computer

Step 4: Create a new folder in your SD Card titled "UPDATE" in all CAPS

Step 5: Drag and drop the 4 items into the new folder you created called "UPDATE" 

Step 6: Eject memory card then insert into GoPro (Go Pro should be powered off at this step)

Step 7: Power on the GoPro then it should start updating itself automatically

Step 8: Once it says update complete go ahead and turn on the Wifi mode (via the side button until it blinks blue) and then connect it to your phone via Wifi

Step 9: You should be good to go! I hope this helps you guys! So simple and now I feel dumb after more than an hour spent on this. -____-;

Anonymous

[ New ]
Check out the last page of this forum/support I posted how I did it and I have the same GoPro as you
Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you so much!!! I've been trying to figure out why none of gopro support solutions have helped. (not to mention they are notoriously difficult to get a hold of...) You have ended months of stress for me!!!!

Anonymous

[ New ]
This one worked for me. The folder 'UPDATE' should be on the SD card with the 4 files in it.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am not having the same issue with the screen, but I can't get my hero 3+ silver to update.  I have tried everything so far suggested, but nothing happens when i put in the micro sd

Anonymous

[ New ]

So i finally got a hold of customer support.  Here's what you do.      After formatting your sd card, create a folder in it called UPDATE  .  it has to be in all caps.  Then when you extract the update file (from zip folder),  extract it to your newly created UPDATE folder on your sd card.  After that, just pop it into your gopro and turn it on.  it should be updating now

Anonymous

[ New ]

This is really piss poor support by gopro.

their step by step instruction had incorrect screenshot as well as written instructions to copy the files WITHIN the Update folder.  The correct procedure is to copy the entire Update folder to the SD card.  The latter action will trigger the update.

That being said, I'm trying to udpate 3.03 to 3.11 and the POS goes through the update process.. and even indicates update completed. However, I'm still on v.3.03.

Utter POS

My next cam will be a Chinese cam from amazon.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

I was very frustrated as well! I finally got it! I have a 3+ Black Edition and it turns out that they are all different. This website has the correct files!

https://om.id.au/software-update-reset-gopro-hero-3-and-4/

Have a blessed day!

Thank You!!!!! that file worked for my 3+ Black. I've been jacking with it for 2 days. Bought a used one and the owner wouldnt give me the wifi password.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Had same issues, now got it to work. Files on GoPro website do work. Old SD card not an issue. I downloaded update file with amended password from site. Took out SD card from camera abd inserted into computer. Created a new folder called 'UPDATE' all caps. Dont put inside MISC file just keep it as separate folder in SD card. Unzip individual files from download and drag them into UPDATE folder, newly created. Eject SD card safely, using icon, bottom right on computer. Insert SD card back into camera. Turn on and off. May need to re-insert a couple of times. Fired-up fine. Took me two days of fiddling to fathom this. Process on GoPro website is poorly set out.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I am having the same exact issue.  GoPro Black 3+; followed instructions exactly.  Insert card, power up, says upgrading.  Does this twice by cycling through update script.  When turning back on, firmware remains as 3.03 and I still can't access via wifi.  How do I fix this?

Anonymous

[ New ]

format the sd and drag the whole update folder

Anonymous

[ New ]

Could it be that my GoPro 3+ Black is old enough that it won't update past a certain firmware release?  I was able to downgrade to firmware 3.0 and then update so I can at least communicate with my iPhone via wifi but firmware is at 03.03.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous,

It should be able to update to the latest version, and it sounds like you are actually on the version. The latest version is v3.03. I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team if you are still having some trouble with that camera.

Best,

Ryan

Anonymous

[ New ]

After trying this for MONTHS on end, I finally realise what's the problem...you gotta reformat your card AND there are some minor details in the steps for Hero 3+ that were missed out by GOPRO's official support page =.= 

HOW TO RESET GOPRO WIFI PASSWORD (HERO 3+):

1. Reformat Card

2. go to gopro site to update firmware and wifi (you can reset password there)

3. download folder with reset password

4. unzip update folder, make sure unzipped folder is called "UPDATE" in caps

5. for Hero 3+, copy and paste entire unzipped "UPDATE" folder into SD card. Do not put in another folder (i.e. misc).

6. insert sd card and turn on gopro. Gopro should reset a few times

Hope your tortured souls can now rest in peace! 

Anonymous

[ New ]

swiftflame's solution worked for me! Thank you!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Following your steps finally worked and has been the best directions!  THANK YOU!

Anonymous

[ New ]
I have a GoProHero 3+ Black Edition and it's just frozen. I tried everything, but nothing seems to help. Manual updates don't work (went through all the steps discussed here). Reset doesn't work. But the camera still gets it when there is no SD card inserted since it says "no SD". Therefore, it's literally just a software issue. Any tips?
Thanks!
Explorer

[ New ]
Not sure what you've tried so I might be repeating what you've done.

1) Remove battery and SD card
2) Format SD in your computer
3) Hold down top shutter button
4) While keeping the shutter pressed, insert the battery, wait about 8 seconds and power on (keeping the shutter pressed)
5) If the camera powers on, release the shutter, wait a few seconds and then power off.
6) Insert the SD card and power on the camera
7) Enter the settings menu and select the trash can icon to delete all/format your SD card

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/How-to-Reset-the-Camera-to-Default-Settings

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/NO-SD-or-SD-ERR-on-Camera-s-LCD
Anonymous

[ New ]
Yeah my problem is it turns own but after that I can't do anything. Not even turn off. I can only remove the battery to turn it off.
Thanks a lot though!
Explorer

[ New ]
That usually is due to an issue with the SD card. Have you tried different cards (whatever you try, DON'T USE SANDISK ULTRA!).

I remember having my Hero3 lock up once and it actually turned out to be a faulty battery, so that's something you might want to try as well. You can get cheap knock off brands on Amazon to try it out. I'm my case, the battery was providing enough power to turn on the camera but but enough to allow the camera to function.

Also, try the reset process a few more times. Sometimes it doesn't work on the first attempt.

If you do decide to try a new battery, do the reset and manual update with it. This process seems to "unjam" the camera's processor.
Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

My next cam will be a Chinese cam from amazon.

I have a Chinese cam from Amazon. If you want choppy, pixelated, blue-tinted, high-contrast, 1080p video from your action cam, then go ahead. In fact, I'm currently selling a Chinese cam for cheap, now that I have a GoPro. Contact me if interested.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thanks so much!! Had a trip planned and my camera was erroring out on everything. The only way i was able to restore was thru your link!! Thanks again for your time!
Anonymous

[ New ]

having the same issue - 

Anonymous

[ New ]

when i go through the update section in the support tab and select Hero3. i can get all the way to the update part but the button is unaccessable. i reset the browser and even tried 2 others. the update button just shows a red circle for my mouse

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the exact same problem.  I'm using a SanDisk Ultra SD card it does not automatically update.  Shows version v03.00 on startup. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Needs to be a ScanDisk Extreme. But I'm still have the same issue, stuck on update, only way to turn it off is remove the battery. I've tried the battery/shutter/power buttom and it does nothing. Just stuck on Updating......

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey Hallo,

Today I have updated my Hero 3 Silver. But I there was a Problem with the naming of the Data. When I have unzipped the Update-Zip there was a file called "HD3.09-firmware.bin". I think it´s wrong. I don´t know if it was good what i have done, but I renamed the file to this "HD3.01-firmware.bin", like this tutorial:

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO3-Cameras

And then it was working right.

Merry Christmas,

DonnerGunther

Anonymous

[ New ]

The instructions given in the Gopro website for undating are hard to follow!

Just do this:  down load the update file, unzip it and then create a folder called "Update" copy the extracted files to the Update folder.

Move the Update folder to your camera's memory card.  Turn on the camera and it will update!  Easy

Explorer

[ New ]

After downloading the Update.zip folder, right click (Windows) on the file and chose Extract.  This will extract an UPDATE folder containing the install files.  You can create your own folder and move these files into it, but it is not necessary.  When extracting, Windows will show the files inside the folder, but a folder is there. For simplicity, download the zip file to your download folder and when extracting, choose your desktop as the destination.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I had the same problem and found that you need to copy the WHOLE UPDATE FOLDER - NOT the files in the folder. Worked. The instructions said to copy the files IN THE FOLDER to your card.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey there, had the exact same issue with mine, found that if I put all the files from the update folder onto the SD Card individually and then followed the rest of the process it seems to fix the issue, hope it does the same for you. Good Luck

Anonymous

[ New ]

I was having the same problem. The only thing that made the difference was downloading the "Wifi and Firmware" update rather than the "Wifi Update Only." If that doesn't work, try the "Firmware only" option. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I wonder if you ever fixed this issue? I have a Hero 3 Black that is doing exactly the same thing. E.g. update failed. I then carried out the same instructions you where given, formatted the card, downloaded the zip, unpacked the zip, put the update folder on the card, installed the card turned on the camera. All that happens is the start up bleeps and flashes  with the start up screen then the screen goes blank and the cycle starts again. This continues for ever and the camera won’t turn off, I have to pull the battery. I have tried 3 different cards. I have been told that the best thing is to replace the motherboard. Support in the U.K. is non existent. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

-deleted...-