Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Go Pro, advertised as the best, but it doesn't even come close to performing as good as competitiors

[ New ]

So I bought this expensive camera from Gopro (two actually) a company that advertised all these features (GPS) and now that I upgraded to their latest product, I dont get the GPS features as advertised UNLESS I spend a couple hundred more dollars with a third party to make those features visible. 

It is hilarious to me that as an already registered user and owner of a Hero7, When I looked at upgrading to the Hero9, I was given a "promo" code to get a free year subscription to the cloud, a 64G SD card and some accessories.  When it arrived, it only had a 32G SD card, no subsription and no accessories.  I called support and they literally told me to create a new user account, and process a new order as a new user. (basically, cheat THIER system) and to return the previously ordered product.  That should have been a huge red flag!, but I let that slide...

I finally get the camera and begin using it.  I start getting the dreaded "GPS Not Available" error message in Quick. Again their software to use with their hardware.  The solution to being able to add the GPS data... Spend $250.00 on this unknown guys app to augment our hardware and force it to work.  My response... "No thanks, not interested in being scammed by GoPro AGAIN"

Save yourself some headaches, dont purchase these products.  Walmart sells a camera that has the same capabilities for $89.00

Seems to me like Go Pro Products are complete garbage.  Perhaps I'll be checking out their competition.  May not be as good video, or it could be the same or even better, but Im betting I'll get what they advertise without the horrible customer service, The  "its not my problem" attitude and the "just spend more money to achieve what we promised" philosophy.

Adventurer

Re: Go Pro, advertised as the best, but it doesn't even come close to performing as good as competit

[ New ]

look into the Osmo action.

I use the gopro app,   not quick . I like a camera and a desktop, 

Backpacker

Re: Go Pro, advertised as the best, but it doesn't even come close to performing as good as competit

[ New ]

So in the interests of an even and fair discussion, let's correct some of your claims (I don't mind a well thought out argument, but outright lies bother me).

I dont get the GPS features as advertised

Camera was advertised as being equipped with GPS, it is equipped with GPS.  Camera was advertised as having software that supports GPS, both Quik for Android and iOS support GPS.

UNLESS I spend a couple hundred more dollars with a third party to make those features visible. 

Untrue, both the free Android App and iOS support basic GPS data including speed, g-force, altitude, map overlay and path.  Please post a link to this "couple hundred more dollars" third party app.  I'd love to know more about it.

When I looked at upgrading to the Hero9, I was given a "promo" code to get a free year subscription to the cloud, a 64G SD card and some accessories.  When it arrived, it only had a 32G SD card, no subsription and no accessories. 

You failed to read the part where it said "promotions cannot be combined".  So you logged into your GoPro account (which offered you a discount on the purchase) and tried to combine that discount with your discount code.  So you basically tried to "cheat the system" and failed to do so due to the fact you didn't read the terms and conditions.

I called support and they literally told me to create a new user account, and process a new order as a new user. (basically, cheat THIER system) and to return the previously ordered product.  That should have been a huge red flag!, but I let that slide...

You're very right about that.  GoPro customer support telling you how order a product to get a better discount is TERRIBLE!  How dare they!  They should have not told you anything and made you pay the full price!  What horrible customer support that is, informing you of how to get the maximum discount possible!  What's next?  Will they give you the winning lotto numbers?  THE CADS!  How dare they encourage gambling by making you a multimillionaire!  

I finally get the camera and begin using it.  I start getting the dreaded "GPS Not Available" error message in Quick.

Wow.. horrible.  Terrible...  did you make sure you had a GPS lock before recording?  Which version of GoPro's software were you using?  Android or iOS?

Again their software to use with their hardware. 

Not really, GoPro don't make and have never made any software called "QUICK".  They do make software called "Quik" for Android and iOS.  They also used to have a software package called "Quik" for desktop (Windows and Mac) that was discontinued over 3 years ago, is unsupported and not available for download from their apps section.  This of course doesn't support GPS data from the GoPro Hero 8 or GoPro Hero 9 as both of these camera's were released after "Quik" for desktop was discontinued and both of those camera's also store their GPS data in a different format.

The solution to being able to add the GPS data... Spend $250.00 on this unknown guys app to augment our hardware and force it to work. 

So weird, I only know one buy making GPS data software for desktop, his name is Juan, he actually charges $99 for the software and he gives you a discount if you ask nicely.   Could you please post a link to this $250 software that you claim is a solution?  I'd love to see this $250 software and learn more about it.  Also it doesn't "augment" the hardware in any way, all it does gives you a desktop GPS solution for extracting GPS data and adding customer overlays to your video by properly reading the GPS data format.  Then again, that's Juan's software, not the "$250" software that you're on about, so could you please post a link to the $250 software?

My response... "No thanks, not interested in being scammed by GoPro AGAIN"

So strange, you claim at the start of your post that you don't get gps data "UNLESS I spend a couple hundred more dollars with a third party to make those features visible".  Yes here you say you're getting scammed by "GoPro AGAIN"... so which is it?  Is it 3rd party software or a GoPro scam?  And where is this link to the "couple hundred" dollar software?

Save yourself some headaches, dont purchase these products.  Walmart sells a camera that has the same capabilities for $89.00

Could you please post a link to said camera?  You posted a link in your other post to a "For profit" website that advertised two camera's (one for $89) that had significantly lower image quality, lower bit rate, had a 3.6 star rating out of 5 and didn't support GPS data.  Could you please post the link for the $89 walmart camera that supports GPS data with an actual 20mp sensor (not a 12mp interpolated picture) that actually records up to 100mb image quality?  Oh and that can use EIS when resolutions of 4K and over are used.  I would say those are the same capabilities, so could you please post the link for us all to see?

Seems to me like Go Pro Products are complete garbage. 

And that is your opinion.  Unfortunately for the rest of us, you haven't made a very good point of backing up your opinion in reference to facts or a well thought out argument.  So it is just that, an opinion.

Perhaps I'll be checking out their competition.  May not be as good video, or it could be the same or even better,

Considering the camera you recommended (which we haven't seen a link for yet) costs $89, allow me to save you the time.  The video is worse.  It's a lot worse.  Oh, and likely, it doesn't support GPS! (oh, spoiler alert btw, I should have mentioned that earlier, sorry).

but Im betting I'll get what they advertise without the horrible customer service,

Please, buy the $89 camera.  Do a video review.  Post the link here.  Let us all know about your experience with the camera, the software, the customer support.  I really would like to see it and actually give you a chance to prove your point!  Not just to me, but to everyone out there who has a similar opinion.  

The  "its not my problem" attitude and the "just spend more money to achieve what we promised" philosophy.

I haven't seen any evidence of this at all from your post.  The only thing I've seen is "I can't work the GPS on my camera" (although we don't know why as you failed to explain the issue you were having other than "No gps data".  In what software?).   "I expected more from the GPS software and I find out that there's much better GPS software out there but I have to pay for it".  Well, there's also better video editing software out there too that you have to pay for.  There's also better filters, effects and LUT's out there that you have to pay for.  What's your point exactly?  The only point I'm seeing is that you expected more than was promised/advertised and now you feel let down.  

Tourist

[ New ]

I've seen your replies to others, and I find you to be insultive, oversimplified and rude.  If you would spend five minutes reading what I actually wrote instead of paraphrasing and cherry picking bits and pieces of what I said, you would find my claims truthful.  You are however not required to do so.  You're probably paid by GoPro so your comments on my post are not worthy of further response.

Backpacker

[ New ]

I've seen your replies to others, and I find you to be insultive

I think you mean "insulting"... "insultive" actually isn't generally recognized by any of the major english dictionaries.  Anyway point being, in all openess, lets' take a quick look at the last 10 responses to my comments!

Awww Yeah! You Got A Hi-5!
thanks for the recommendations
Thank you. That is more less what I needed to know. Thanks Again
That's very helpful thank you.
OK, thank you Irishman. Problem fixed !
Any tips/trick or assistance you can offer would be awesome. Thanks!

So it seems that once again, you're sharing an "opinion", just like your "opinion" was that an $89 camera was comparable to a GoPro (still waiting on that link BTW).

oversimplified

That's because some people get confused by big words and facts.  They seem to prefer unsubstantiated small one off sentances rather than rely on actually proven facts (case in point).  So I try make things really simple for them to understand.  Those with a more expansive oversight of the issues at hand and willing to discuss so in an open, factual, non temper tantrum feet stomping kinda way, I will use the really "big words" with them.  Alas, with some people, there isn't enough crayola in the world....

and rude. 

Well I admit, you got me there, dead to rights!  Mea Cupla!  You see here's the thing, there's some people out there who tend to give wrap up their respect and just give it away.  My respect is earned, not given.  To those that don't earn respect...... well you can see where this is going.  

If you would spend five minutes reading what I actually wrote

Actually what you wrote was very short and my reading skills are quite advanced, so taking 5 minutes......  bit of an insult really...

instead of paraphrasing and cherry picking bits and pieces of what I said, you would find my claims truthful. 

I think you should look up the definition of "paraphrasing" and "cherry picking".  I actually replied to your post line by line, in full.  I pointed out your errors and where you just made some outright dishonest claims.  Perhaps if you took the time to read my reply you would realize that.  I even asked you to prove your claims on two occasions (link to the comparable $89 camera & link to the $250 software) which you have still failed to do.  This doesn't add much to your claim that your "claims" are 'truthful".  Please, I'm asking you to prove me wrong.  Provide the links.  After all, your claims are "truthful" so why can't you do that?

You are however not required to do so. 

Thank goodness we don't live in some authoritative state where we are told what we can and can't post on a public message board.  You made some (false) claims, I refuted them, asked you "specifics" about your claims and you immediately go on the attack, don't bother to provide the links to the products that were requested (and would help prove your claims).  If you had some well thought out arguments, backed up by proof, I would have happily taken it all in and maybe even agreed with you.  You still have that chance!  You can prove me wrong in front of everyone!   Post your links!

You're probably paid by GoPro so your comments on my post are not worthy of further response.

No, I suspect if I was being paid by GoPro I would have to actually treat you nicely, apologize for the disappointment you are suffering and then fob you off to some customer support person.  Since I'm not paid by GoPro I can pretty much just call it as it is.  Until you actually prove otherwise, you're just a small child stomping their feet making outragous claims.  

I'm not even asking you to back up every single claim that you made, I wouldn't want to take up your time doing that.  I'm just asking for two links, what's so hard about that?