Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Go Pro Session stops time-lapse and starts recording!

I've had the go pro session for the last couple of weeks. I bought it so I could get timelapse pics of a construction site (1 pic every 60 secs).

Since having it, I have had nothing but problems!!! Took the thing back twice only to find that it was an incompatible SD card. I sorted the initial issues buy buying a Scan Disk extreme 32Gb as recommended on the Go Pro site.

I set the camera up to start the timelapse. The countdown starts and it begins to take pictures. When I take the camera down at the end of the day, I find that it has stopped taking the timelapse pictures and started recording!!! which means the battery drains quickly! It's so frustrating! If I didn't need this footage, I would take this back and never touch another go pro.

I formatted the SD card and there is plenty of room.

Any help would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Go Pro Session stops time-lapse and starts recording!

Hi @toughflame0786

I'm sorry to hear that is happening. I've never seen this behavior in my own Session cameras. When you start the time-lapse, please make sure to hold down the shutter button not just for 3 seconds, but UNTIL the camera starts up and begins taking photos. 

Also, what kind of SD cards are you using in the camera. Please make sure to try with one of the recommended cards

If it still presents that problem, I'd say it's best to reach out to GoPro Support to see if they can help you out further and possibly swap the device under warranty.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

@fireyriver85713

That is really strange behavior, I've never heard of a Session doing that.  Can you go into a little more detail about how you are setting up and starting the recording on you camera?  Are you using the GoPro app? How many pictures does the camera take before converting to video, and how many total files do you end up with (pictures and videos).

Lastly, can you take some screenshots of your settings in the GoPro App?

Hopefully we can get this figured out.  Until then, the standard advice is: Reformat your SD card and run the manual update (even if the camera is running the latest firmware).

Regards,

Daniel

Tourist

I too have seen this issue recently on my new session. I wanted timelapse video from photos, but photos would stop randomly and video would start up. I had to resort to speeding up the video footage instead of using the timelapse photos, since they were so short.

I have since updated my session manually to firmware 2.0 and formatted my SD card, but I still need to go out and test another timelapse. I think this is an overheating issue with the session.

Tourist

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response.

I set the timelapse up in the app (see attached) but I start the timelapse by using the button on top (press and holding for 3 secs). I don't use the wifi/app to start it as I cannot leave the wifi on as I need the battery to last as long as possible. 

I position the camera high up in a tree so it can get full view of the site.

The number of pictures and videos varies, there is no rhyme or reason. It might take 300+ pictures and then switch to recordining until the battery drains out or it might only take 200 before it switches to recording.

The videos are taking up a lot of space and means the battery does not last until the end of the day so I am missing a lot of stuff.

IMG_4057.PNG
Tourist

I can confirm my unit continues to suffer from this issue, even after a manual firmware update, and two different, GoPro recommended SD cards. I tried to create a labor day BBQ timelapse today, and while it did record the timelapse photos for awhile, it did eventually start recording video on its own, which makes it unreliable for this purpose.

GoPro

Hi @toughflame0786

I'm sorry to hear that is happening. I've never seen this behavior in my own Session cameras. When you start the time-lapse, please make sure to hold down the shutter button not just for 3 seconds, but UNTIL the camera starts up and begins taking photos. 

Also, what kind of SD cards are you using in the camera. Please make sure to try with one of the recommended cards

If it still presents that problem, I'd say it's best to reach out to GoPro Support to see if they can help you out further and possibly swap the device under warranty.  

Tourist

Yes, I did hold the button until photo recording began.

I have seen the issue with these two SD cards:

SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1(SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA)

Lexar 1000x MicroSDXC UHS-3 128GB (LSDMI128CBNL1000R)

I guess I will contact support to see what they say. Thanks!

GoPro

Interesting. Those are both recommended cards, and you've already updated the camera so that should be set too. Hopefully Support will be able to help you!