Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Go Pro Hero 9 Video has a filter like curtain going back and forth across the screen

[ New ]

I have some videos that I took with my brand new go pro hero 9 and noticed that there is a bar going top to buttom that somewhat changes the color of the video. All it does is going back and forth swaying left to right changing the video from light to dark. I have updated the camera firmware already. I am hoping this is not due to a defective unit.

goprohero9 video issue.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Go Pro Hero 9 Video has a filter like curtain going back and forth across the screen

[ New ]

All Replies
Nomad

Re: Go Pro Hero 9 Video has a filter like curtain going back and forth across the screen

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire wrote:

You might find this interesting: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Vertical-line-darker-half-video-Gopro-Hero-9-Black/m-p/896818

Thank you so much! This is my actual problem. I will probably have to restore to the firmware suggested and not updated to the latest one which causes the issue. Thank you! 

Hiker

[ New ]

FYI : I had the same issue and read/commented on the other related threads in this forum.

Based on other people comments, I installed fw 1.22 and gave it anoter try today with various settings (1080p50 Superview, 4K25 Linear+, 1080p200 Linear+) : no issues anymore, so it really looks like it's directly related to fw 1.50.

However, when I reached out to customer service to report the issue on my camera (along with other issues such as freezes, or camera powering off automatically with 20% battery left and a "low battery" message) I was told that this issue is not related to fw 1.50, but with an 'internal' problem, unrelated to firmware.

Obviously I find it very hard to believe given the tests results I and others got, so I argued with the guy on the phone about it, but after some wait, discussing with his team, he insisted that it's the motherboard, and that the issue must have been there the whole time, just not triggered until after using the camera for some time (which is also unlikely since I wasn't able to reproduce anymore after downgrading to 1.22)

Anyway, he told me to return my gopro for an exchange, so I'm sending it tomorrow, and I'll run some tests when the new one comes in.

By this time, maybe a new firmware fixing the issue will also be available...

Last but not least I asked him about a tool to fix our messed up footage, and he said nothing is ready but did not rule it out completely, so I'm not sure if they are actually working on such a tool. I'll definitely bring it up again whenever the firmware is fixed.

I don't know if other people have been asked to return their gopro for an exchange, and I surely don't count on this too much to fix the issue, but anyway, that's where I'm at, and felt this needed to be shared. To be continued...

Nomad

[ New ]

Guys watch out I just replaced my GoPro 9 because I had the audio popping problem and the 1.5 vertical lines in slowmotion it's gone, also sound popping now is good (how it should be), 
The first thing I did was charge the battery then a manual 1.5 Update install and everything good.

Hiker

[ New ]
I will try the 1.5 manual install as I only have the vertical issues. Thank you for the update @isaakonfire!
Question though, did you mean you sent your go pro hero 9 back for a replacement and got a new one?
Popping sound in the audio?
Nomad

[ New ]

I have a new (replaced) Gopro 9. With the first GoPro I had popping audio:https://youtu.be/i2kPGWdGhtU

I had the vertical lines and as much as I try to install manually 1.5 didn't work, but I mention it with this replaced GoPro because with the older one I did many things wrong like putting a non supported sdcard and then install the first update to 1.5 with wireless method with my tablet and gave me an error and had to do it 2 times for it to install.

Of course my sdcard is supported now but didn't make any difference then.

Many here found the same problems and I think it's worth mentioning after all this "detective" effort... a new replacement just works fine now for me, how it should be!

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry guys, I was just reviewing slowmo samples and the vertical line just came back, my audio popping is fixed but vertical lines persist. I don't think it's a hardware problem, it should be fixed by the next update.