Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Go Pro Hero 7

Yeah, there are conflicting rumours here. But none seem to better the the Hero6 performance wise. But certainly it will not be worse either. Perhaps better priced. At least I don't think we will see a 500 USD retail price anytime soon.

In any case a new model number with minimal upgrades will not invoke price protections towards the dealers.

Backpacker

it is worse than the Hero 6, Hero 6 does 4k@60 while this only does 4k30. I suspect its got to be a range of replacement Session's

Nomad

Judging by all of these rumours so far it sounds like:

1 x Dark Grey 2018 Premium Session replacement

1 x Light Grey 2018 Lite Session replacement

1 x Hero 7 Black (Which evidence suggests will be the same form as Hero 6 Black and just have updated firmware)

No news of a Hero 7 Silver.

Backpacker

i'm sure the Session specs haven't improved over the last models either then. Sure the Hero 5 Session is 4k@30, & the Hero 4 Session is 1440 (can't remember the frame rate)

Nomad

[ Edited ]

I really do feel like a significant upgrade is due to be honest. If the Hero7 Black is a small incremental upgrade then GoPro can count me out.

I was quite underwhelmed with the specs on the Hero6 Black, although the incredible stabilisation and dynamic range sold it to me really. Not being able to shoot 4k60fps with stabilisation is such a bummer to be honest, and I'm fairly certain the GP1 chip is capable of it, GoPro just haven't unlocked the feature because they want an easy upgrade later on for Hero7 Black IMO.

Speaking seriously, the Hero7 Black should (but probably won't) have 4k 120fps, 4k 60fps stabilised, 1080p 480fps, maybe even 720p 1000fps seeing as smart phones are completely capable of that!

A larger sensor would also be nice but if the form doesn't change then neither will the sensor or lens. Hero7 Black will essentially be Hero6 Plus. Or "what the Hero6 sould have been".

Tourist

So basically it'll be another GoPro that's not really worth upgrading from the Hero 4 Black for then, despite all the people who've asked for years that GoPro make the sensor bigger so dynamic range is better and so low light performance is better GoPro just won't do it. They pretty much keep recycling the same cameras and everytime one comes out it's a only a little better than the last but more expensive. People may say the dynamic range and low light ability is good on the Hero 6 but having been a professional photographer for 18 years I can say it's rubbish. Low light is awful and very noisy and dynamic range has always been poor. Now Sony are pretty much beating GoPro hands down with their X3000 action cam which has much better low light, far less noise and better synamic range. I've had two Hero 3 cameras and three Hero 4 Black cameras but if GoPro don't release the Hero 7 to be much better in low light with far less noise and much better dynamic range i'm moving over to the Sony cams from now on. 

Tourist

[ Edited ]

People it's not all about specs ok it's about performance first and foremost, the Hero 4, 5 and 6 have poor dynamic range regardless of what amateurs say (i'm a professional photographer and have been for years), the low light performance is dreadful, in very low light you need to ramp up the ISO and then you get horrendous amounts of image noise, the image stabilisation is good but it's not sensor shift all it does is crop the image resulting in degraded image quality. I as well as many GoPro owners would gladly pay more money for a Hero camera that has a larger sensor yielding better low light capability and dynamic range as well as less noise. I don't if the Hero camera is bigger as a reult performance and overall image quality is far more important than size and cost. But GoPro never listen so every camera is only a little better than the last and yet more expensive. GoPro are more concerned about wowing you all with specs than giving you much better image quality and low light performance. 

Me personally i'm moving over to Sony if the Hero 7 isn't much better and buying myself a Sony FDR-X3000 as it's a better camera and that's the end of it.

Backpacker

A professional photographer, using a GoPro 3 generations old. Moaning about Hero 6 problems when he hasn’t even got one. Also trying to use an “action” camera & complaining about its low light levels