Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Go Pro Hero 7 Black Update Failed

I am not able to update my GorPro Hero 7 Black:

Phone: Update Failed

Quik: Update Failed

Manually: Dowlonaded, extract files and copied to sd card, but when turning on camera, nothing happens.

Does anyone has any idea?

I alredy formatted the micro sd card (Samsung Evo Plus 256 gb)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Go Pro Hero 7 Black Update Failed

Do you have a smaller storage card? (64GB tend to work best).

Format your SD card (complete overwrite) with this tool https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
and then place the UPDATE folder (It's in the UPDATE.zip download, you don't need to make one yourself) onto the blank card.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

Last nite I   had the same exact issue twice.  Make sure you got the correct firmware, and simply reload back in, that may work if not then you may need to find an older version. firmware and flash back in.

Highlighted
Hiker

How do I amke sure what the correct firmware is?

I downloaded the firmware via the gopro site (https://gopro.com/en/de/support/product-update/register-camera

Highlighted
Nomad

You need to make sure that you create a folder called "UPDATE" on your SD card and put the update files in there.

Here's a video I made explaining the process:

Highlighted
Hiker

@irishmanpdx I exactly followed your steps and this time the UPDATE automatically started, but Update failed again, see the image

Currentyl Version 01.70 is installed, but the newest one is HERO7 Black update v1.90 | Nov. 25, 2019

GoProUpdateFailed.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

Do you have a smaller storage card? (64GB tend to work best).

Format your SD card (complete overwrite) with this tool https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
and then place the UPDATE folder (It's in the UPDATE.zip download, you don't need to make one yourself) onto the blank card.
Highlighted
Hiker

I used a smaller micor sd card (32 GB) and this worked. But I am still confused because the SD card I have is recommended by GoPro itself, see post https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/SD-Card-Samsung-Evo-Plus-256GB-Media-Can-not-be-seen/m-p/5103...
Highlighted
Sightseer

Having the worst luck with GoPro today. First my GoPro Karma stopped working. Drone would power on but harness would not initialize. The power button on the Karma would not shut the drone off. Had to remove battery to turn it off. Took it home to troubleshoot and read online (watched YouTube too) about this "pairing issue" and that there has not been a solution. Decided to do updates. Updated the Karma controller first. Worked perfectly. But since pairing did not work, I could not update the gimbal or Hero7. Decided to update the Hero7 and have failed miserably (hence this thread). Tried GoPro Quik Desktop app first. Stated "Version Unknown (Up To Date)" in Quik. So I then tried to update manually with microSD card. First card did not work. After loading "Update" folder to microSD it powered on and Hero7 showed the 1>2 symbol and then just black/blank screen. Took out a different card and tried to load "Update" folder to it. But Hero7 goes blank. Powers on and then the "7" logo on front fades away and rear montior turns to black. Worse than that, my microSD cards are not reading on my Mac. Tried Disk Utility to reformat and theyʻre shot. Broken Karma, broken Hero7, and 2 broken microSD cards. What to do...

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 4.44.08 PM.png