Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Go Pro Hero 7 Black - PC loads MTP driver, USB charging only - no drive mapped

Hi

When I plug my Hero7 Black into my Windows 10 PC, the drivers are installed and the "USB Charging" message is showing on the camera. 

Windows does not recognise my camera as a storage device and does not map a drive. 

I cannot  view any files (Videos or Pictures) or access the camera via Quik - Quik does not even see the camera. 

I can view the MicroSD card contents via a reader, I want to be able to apply firmware updates via the PC to the camera.

I have tried looking for updated MTP drivers on Windows update but nothing works. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Go Pro Hero 7 Black - PC loads MTP driver, USB charging only - no drive mapped

Même problème avec la Hero 6 Black depuis la mise à jour du dernier firmware en 02.10.

J'ai essayé de brancher ma GoPro sur d'autres ordinateurs, égalemnt sur Windows 10 1909 et je n'ai pas ce souci.

Je ne l'ai que sur mon ordinateur, un MSI GF63-8RD 217FR dont le chipset est un Intel HM370.

Je suspecte donc une incompatibilité entre le chipset HM370 et le nouveau firmware de la GoPro Hero 6 Black.

Est ce que par hasard tu serais également sur ce chipset ??

Cordialement,

Guillaume

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Go Pro Hero 7 Black - PC loads MTP driver, USB charging only - no drive mapped

There have been multiple issues with GoPro's connecting to the PC.  Some people blame the USB cable that GoPro sent out with the camera's, it's actually an older version of the cable and therefore leads to connection issues.  Other people have blamed the MTP driver (which you won't find an update for in the Windows store, you need to uninstall the driver and then let windows re-install it).

I have a brand new HP Omen and for a "how to" video, I connected my GoPro Fusion up to the Laptop via the supplied USB cable and viola, nothing.  Yes the camera would read it was charging but that was it.  I then spent 10 minutes unplugging it and plugging it into other various USB ports on the Laptop only for the same thing to happen.  However, I finally moved it back to the original USB port I had used and next thing I know, Windows found the camera....

Explination?  Witchcraft........   that's all I got.  I haven't tried this with my Hero 8 yet but sounds like another test for me to do, I'll let you know what happens.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi guitouneo

Thanks for your quick reply, it is very frustrating!

I am using an HP Envy laptop, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Not sure if the info helps.

The Quick software is suggesting a firmware upgrade for my GoPro, perhaps that may help, can I download the Firmware onto the SD card and then install it from the SD card when I put back in the camera? 

Highlighted
Tourist

HI Irishmanpdx

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I think I need some witchcraft.. I am nothing if not persistent when it comes to annoying bugs!

I tried my usb cable for my Samsung phone, same result. I guess it could be an old cable although I have only just purchased the camera.

I have tried uninstalling the MTP driver, windows resinstalls the same version each time, the Youtube video I watched, the guy had 2 copies of the MTP driver on his pc and the second version worked. 

Would be great to hear if you have the same problem with the Hero 8.

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Tourist

Having the same problem with Hero 8. The funny thing is, the older style cable from Hero 6 with blue insert (USB 3.0) works for both. But when I use the Hero 8 cable which is supposed to by USB 3.1 to USB C neither one works. They charge but they do not map or will not transfer files to quik.

Called support and they said they would send me an older style cable so I could use for the new Hero 8 but after a week heard nothing and no package. Called CS back and was told the cable was on backorder with no estimated time of arrival. Then was told that they (GoPro) know about this problem. The solution appears to be wait and see if people call in and complain.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same here with the 7 black. No matter which port or cable - no drive appears on my Win10.
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

GoPro cameras may not show up as a drive on your computer. Connections between the computer and the GoPro (including firmware updates and importing content from the camera) are done though our Quik for Desktop app. Details are at https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-to-Import-Using-Quik-for-desktop.