Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Go Pro Hero 6 won't connect to Google Pixel

Hi guys,

Total first time user with a Go Pro - bought a cheaper style camera before realising the you get what you pay for... So I now have a new Go Pro Hero 6 which has great useability and image quality. Great! However major issue with the app. Here goes (after 3 reinstalls):

Open App

Sign In

Download Quikstories

Lets Get Started

Connect to a camera

Hero 6 Black

First Time Install

Turn on Hero 6

Ready

...Connecting

(Camera states 'connected')

Phone states 'connected'

Camera image and model no appears on phone screen

I tap the camera and the wheel appears

Nothing happens until an error connecting message comes up on the phone screen

We could not connect to your camera. Please retry

I've tried it on 5ghz, 2.5ghz, Ive forgotten the wifi and bluetooth connections, Ive wiped the connections on the camera and stil nothing.

I'm about to try on an old Iphone but even if that works its really not ideal!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Tourist

Re: Go Pro Hero 6 won't connect to Google Pixel

Also - checked all software is up to date. The camera has been updated through the phone app which means it is connecting somehow its just not allowing me to see or do anything.
GoPro

Hi Mark,

@loyalbluff23372,

This is something that I have flagged to our App Team. In the meantime give this a try:

1. On camera, go to Connections > Wi-Fi Band > choose 2.4 GHz 
2. On phone's wifi settings, forget the camera's AP. Then manually re-connect to it and enter the password. 
3. Launch the GoPro app.

This was able to help some of our other users!

Cheers,

Ryan

Tourist

UPDATE - app works fine on my iphone so this seems to be an issue with Google Pixels. Unfortunately this is the phone I use so please let me know how this can be fixed!

Nomad

I have been able to connect with my first gen pixel. On original firmware V1 I had way less problems. I skipped 1.51 and went straight to 1.6 and have had constant issues since.

I can get the app to connect about 50% of the time. But in order to do so, I have to reset everything on the camera and phone in terms of connection's. This involves resetting connections on camera, forgetting WiFi AP and Bluetooth on phone. Force stopping and clearing all data for go pro app. Then manually adding WiFi details into phone and going thru the whole setup process from scratch.

It is a maaaaajor headache.

Please look into this Go Pro team!
Nomad

Oh and if I close the app or lose the connection with the camera, it is back to square one and I have to do all that again.

Tourist

Glad it's not just me - and glad it worked on a pixel before updates. Hopefully there's a quick fix on this one.

FYI GoPro mines a first gen Pixel also
Nomad

It still works, it just a real hassle, and is not guaranteed to work everytime either.

I love my pixel, but this is making me consider an iphone, sigh 😑😒😥