Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Go Pro Hero 4 Black - SD Err with 64GB cards from compatibility list ?

Camera : Go Pro Hero 4 Black, latest firmware v5.00

In the last 6 months, I've found that my GoPro Hero 4 Black as not able to reliable record 4k video ( 4k 25p, Protune ) to the pair of 64GB Sandisk Extreme U3 card from the compatibility list - something it had been doing previously without issue.

I've also tried the advice around reformatting and low level formatting the cards, the cards are from the compatibility list and current firmware appears to be loaded OK.

So, I reluctantly RMA'd the Sandisk cards ( although they formatted OK and checking for read / write errors didn't report any issues ) and recieved back a slightly different pair of Extreme Pro U3 cards ( Looks like the Sandisk Extreme U3's are no longer available ) which although on paper look a 'sufficently' high spec, throw a SD Err immediately.

So I've recently purchased a Lexar x633 64GB card ( the only remaining card currently available from the compatibility list ) and band new out of the box that throws a SD Err immediately as soon as you start recording.

I still have some 32GB U3 Sandisk cards which do work and record 4k video without issue.

Are there any other suggestions ?

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Go Pro Hero 4 Black - SD Err with 64GB cards from compatibility list ?

try reverting back a fw if found good luck see if that  works out.

Highlighted
Tourist

Dissapointing that GoPro don't appear to be testing their new firmware with cards on their compatibility list :(

OK, so how do you roll back the firmware - is this a case of installing it from the SD card manually given the App will always want to roll you forwards?

It is possible to get the older firmware directly from GoPro, rather than a 3rd party download site?

Highlighted
Tourist

Does anyone have links to the early v2 and v3 firmware ?

Still have issues with writing to the SD card failing.