Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Go Pro 8 turns on but display screen is black

I can turn my go pro 8 on and cycle through modes and take video or pictures. However the display screen won't display and it is all black. Screen appears to have no visible damage. How can I fix this issue?
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Go Pro 8 turns on but display screen is black

Hello, @brownbonea

Please try to contact GoPro customer support for assistance. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Betreff: Go Pro 8 turns on but display screen is black

Hi,
i have exact the same problem. A manual update does not help and don't fix the problem.
The main screen is always black. The front display works fine.

My gopro is new. Strange...
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Betreff: Go Pro 8 turns on but display screen is black

@havuc, in addition to manually reinstalling the firmware update, be sure that the SD card isn't inserted between the SD card slot and the battery. Doing so can put pressure on the back of the touch display. 

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

what do you mean with "... be sure that the SD card isn't inserted between the SD card slot and the battery."

How can a realize this without an SDCARD ?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @havuc. There are instances when the SD card gets inserted into the gap between the SD card slot and the battery. This could push the battery towards the screen, putting pressure on the screen causing it not to work. 

If this is not the case with your camera, and you have done as suggested, the next step is to engage our Support team for further assistance. Thanks!