Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

Indeed - Given that this workaround of button presses makes live strearming (HDMI out) possible, why hasn't GoPro updated the firmware that runs on the camera itself to provide this as a single setting, as was the case in prior cameras?

Instead, what they appear to have done w/ the v 2.0 firmware is allow you only to set this up via an app running on a smartphone talking to your camera.  That doesn't help those of us for which the app doesn't work on our cellphone (me) or who are not carrying our smartphone around with them  while filming.

@GoPro really needs to step up.  As someone who works in  hardware and software development and release, I can tell you that the absolute best way to lose customers is to take features (or ease of use) away when you make a new release

Highlighted
Hiker

I might add that the 4 button press workaround is completely undocumented by GoPro.

Highlighted
Nomad

Um.... yes it is, it's in the instructions for the various settings for the media mod, where do you think I learned it?  

Highlighted
Tourist

It wasn't in the Media Mod instructions when I purchased it.  I had to figure it out.  

Highlighted
Tourist

You mean that if I connect a smartphone to the hero 8 I can turn off the HUD showed with the media mod? Is this option permanent or I have to set it up at every startup ?
Thanks

@GoPro PLEASE add this option in the GoPro menu like hero 7.
Highlighted
Tourist

@GoPro  please listen to us and add this little option, even in the labs firmware!!! this gopro for me is a **bleep** without thi option!!! 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Hope this helps someone else. But I've just run (and rerun) some tests, when I use the batteries from a Hero 7 (non-blue top) in a Hero 8, the camera goes straight to live out (no gallery/media mode). When I put the blue top batteries in (supplied with Hero 8), the media mode is back at startup. Both batteries were at similar capacities (~40%), no external power. I've done this about 10 times now, all with the same result. I'm not sure how this might affect other performance, but it seems to be doing something. Try it and let me know

Highlighted
Nomad

That's one of the oddest things I've read in a long time, it would indicate that there is maybe some sort of BMS communication between the battery and the camera and it's causing the effect you described.

I'll try this out later today and see if I can replicate.  Well done for finding that out though and for doing repeated testing to ensure it wasn't a once off.