Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

Thanks to  all who have posted here with how to work around the clean HDMI issue as well as their use models.

>>  Does anyone from GoPro monitor this thread, please

... because, if so, it would be great to know when you will be updating your software to fix this

Highlighted
Tourist

That's odd.  If mine is not recording and just outputting HDMI it does charge it.  It only stops charging it over USB-C if I hit record.  My problem with my MediaMod is that only Stereo Mic input works haha.  Front and Back doesn't record any audio.  Just silence.  I emailed suppport but haven't heard back

Highlighted
Hiker

Does it work for everyone else? When doing HDMI live out + USB C, does your go pro charge, or stay powered? Mine does not charge or power, it just drains the battery until 0%.
Highlighted
Tourist

Mine won't do anything if I'm recording.  But if I'm just using it with a camlink 4k or to a tv not recording with the hero8 itself, it will charge while displaying the screen. 
I'm not able to charge while recording with or without the media mod.  

Highlighted
Nomad

So a couple of things real quick.

1:  If you plug your GoPro into an external power source, regardless or not of whether there is a media mod attached, it will not charge your battery while recording.  Instead it will drain your battery, shut down the camera (since your battery is now dead) and then start to charge your camera.  So any time you hook up your camera to an external power supply, you should remove your internal battery.

There have been reports of some people who have recorded hooked up to an external power supply and charged their battery, but this seems to be related to using very specific cables and chargers and you will have to hunt this forum for the information.  It was pretty detailed though.  

2:  Who hasn't seen a topic about "Camera not detected when plugged into laptop/pc"?  Seems the GoPro USB connections suffer from a lot of issues.  I can plug my GoPro straight into a particular port on my laptop (USB Gen 2 3.1) and it sees the camera.  Plug it into another port and nada.  Attach the media module and try on all ports and either way, the camera displays "USB connected", yet only the USB Gen 2 3.1 port will see the camera with the media mod attached.  As I'm sure you know, once that "USB connected" message is displayed on your camera, you basically cannot use it for anything.  This is most likely why most of you are having the issue of not being able to connect your camera to HDMI and power it at the same time.  The camera is detecting it's plugged into a data port (either it be on a laptop or a USB hub).  I just did a test by removing my battery, plugging in external power (hooked up to a phone charger plugged into the wall) and plugged in the HDMI out.  Camera was powered, turned on and sending a signal out over the HDMI cable.  

So if you're looking to power your camera and use the HDMI out at the same time, remove the battery first and make sure your USB power is coming from a power bank or a wall charger and not hooked up to your PC/Laptop or a USB hub.

Highlighted
Tourist

Rif.: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

@GoPro Please give us an option to enable default clean live hdmi output with media mod installed!!! now this is garbage!!

Highlighted
Hiker

New H9 and H9 media mod is out. I guess that means everyone who bought the 8 is screwed. I definitely will not be buying the 9. I’m still stuck using H5’s for my broadcast stuff. I’d love to switch to the newest cameras but I need the menu option to force clean hdmi out when connected.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re webcam support on Hero8 Black, I just checked and it looks like GoPro has added it in an August firmware release

It would have been nice if they could have let their customers know.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black