Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

It's very frustrating. It's a software issue. All the previous model cameras allow this. I do not understand why they would neglect to include this in their new flagship camera. Unfortunately, If it is not updated soon, I will be forced to look for other action cameras that do give a clean out via hdmi and have a proper working auto rotate or auto lock landscape.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I 100% agree that this should be a priority for a firmware upgrade. The main reason I purchased the Media Mod was to use my GoPro Hero 8 as a webcam since we're doing a lot of that lately. What a hassle to have to go and press all kinds of buttons just to get a clean HDMI signal. There should definitely be an option for that to be the default when HDMI is detected.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same issue.  This is infuriating.  I just wanted to use my hero 8 for a live hdmi feed.  The camera doesn't have an HDMI out so I had to buy the Media Mod (and microHDMI to HDMI adapter) and now I find out that when you plug in the HDMI cable, the screen on the camera goes blank.  I am not able to see the monitor from the camera's location so I apparently have to memorize button presses (4 side 1 top) to turn off the battery indicator icon and there apparently isn't any way to get into preferences when hdmi is connected.  On top of that, when I try to plug in the USB-C to charge it, it automatically goes to playback mode and I have no clue at this point how to get it to go back to live view.  ...and now I hear that the previous models worked better.  These are simple software fixes.  Can we please get this fixed?  This is an otherwise amazing camera which is basically useless for me now.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @danielryanswain

When on the Playback mode, press the Mode button a couple of times until you get the camera icon highlighted.

Press the shutter button to switch to the live view.

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

Lol. Please just have this issue fixed. I have a H8 with media mod collecting dust while I use my hero 5 for live broadcast.
Highlighted
Tourist

aragon1006 - Thank you for the tip but this is still a frustrating process.  Since the screen goes blank I have to... Press the side button to power on, wait 30 seconds (or walk in the other room to verify it is on), press the side button twice and press the top button once to switch to live view, and quickly press the side button 4 times (5 if you waited too long) and press the top button once to hide icons.  The ideal solution here is to not disable the go pro screen when connected to hdmi (for menu access and also to see where it's pointed).  If that is not possible, the next best option would be having the option in preferences to set it to default to live view with no icons when hdmi is connected.  ...or maybe just prompting with options before it switches off the screen and goes to the hdmi feed.  With all of the churches and other businesses now trying to stream, I would think this should be a high priority.  

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro, please correct this issue. I purchased the Hero 8 for my wife to use as a higher quality webcam for seeing patients online, she won't use it because of the extra steps required to make the output clean everytime she turns it on. Seriously considering returning it and upgrading to a higher end camera that doesn't require her to fuss with settings.
Highlighted
Hiker

@aragon1006 

Seems like now is the time to fix this issue?

I like the idea of being able to set a defult in the menu settings like previous go pro models.

I have two broadcasts next week, both of them we are using H5's.

The 7's dont auto rotate or lock hdmi out and the 8 is like solving a rubics cube with a blindfold on to get clean hdmi out.