Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

SO, I have a new media mod, and quick capture still does not work with the media mod (that is, when quick capture is activated, there is no live feed).

Also, did anyone at GoPro even use this device before releasing? The USB and HDMI sockets are way too close together. Unless you use Hyperthin branded microHDMI cables, a HDMI and USB-C cable barely fit next to each other. If I use one of my cheaper HDMI cables, the USB and HDMI plugs interfere and do not sit correctly in their sockets....even the ribbon cable clip-on style HDMI cables do not fit....ugghhh...

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

this might work, but it's not practical. It means you always need physical access to the camera, which is rarely the case for people who are using the live feed fucntion. They need to either include the startup mode as an option (ie gallery or live feed), or allow you to go to the live view from the app

Highlighted
Hiker

Both options sound good. They definitely need the menu option like the previous models. It would also be nice to have the app still work with the hdmi / media mod connecting.
Highlighted
Tourist

...The USB and HDMI sockets are way too close together....

I've been in a similar situation before with other gear and bulky molded cables. It's not the prettiest but it takes a few moments to file the side of the molded cable end.

I've been out in the field and have used concrete to do this lol.

Not an ideal solution and not my preference to mcguyver things - but most cables can spare a mm on either side to slim them.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I too am having the same issue. I use a Go Pro 7 Hero Black for Web streams through OBS and it works perfectly when I connect a HDMI cable to it with a clean signal. I recently purchased a GoPro 8 and waitied 4 weeks for the Media Mod which just arrived yesterday. I was shocked that when you plug the HDMI in that you dont get a clean HDMI out. I cant find any way to select this option to Live View as the screen is blank and even when I tried to scroll on it to prefferences it wont let me select anything as viewing the actions through my computer view on OBS. Basically really disapointed with this model. I would rather sell this and get another Hero 7 Black model.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey Redwater can you tell me which firmware version and how you get to this screen?

I think I'm missing an menu item on mine. 

IMG_9390.JPG

Highlighted
Nomad

The image in the last post is correct if you have a media mod attached and running the latest firmeware 1.60.  The only thing that will change there is the microphone selection if you have a microphone directly attached.

You can easily get a "clean feed" on your stream if the option is selected.  You have three options when your GoPro is attached to a hdmi (using the side mode button).  Playback option.  A "live" feed with the camera status displayed (battery, sd etc) and a "monitor" option which will be your clean live feed.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
You are incorrect. It is not easy. On previous model gopro’s you could pre- select what you want the camera to do when an hdmi is connected. You can not do that on the 8 with the media mod.

With the media mod and hero 8 you can not pre select what you want prior to connecting via hdmi.

The menu/settings were poorly designed and not tested. They took a step back from the hero 7 which took a step back from the 5.

Remember that when you connect the 8 via hdmi it also does not auto rotate and if you lock rotation, that doesn’t translate to the hdmi out.

I’d recommend using the camera before claiming you have an “easy” solution to a problem when you don’t.