Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

On previous GoPro's you have the option to choose what happens when connecting via hdmi. On the new 8 Black with the media mod it goes straight to your sd card media.

I am using the camera for a live in car camera for a broadcast. I need to set it to give me a live clean out via hdmi upon connection like the previous models.

I'm using an 8 Black with Media Mod. Firmware up to date. I need "Live View" out without having to choose that each time I connect the hdmi. The previous go pro's have this feature so I set it to "Live View" and everytime I plug in an hdmi it gives me a straight clean out.

IMG_1852.JPG
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

Hello @redwater53464. You should still be able to choose which media or information to display on your TV screen. See the instructions under Connecting to a Big Screen with an HDMI Cable at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-the-Media-Mod-for-HERO8-Black/ta-p/498557 for a guide on how to navigate through the HDMI display. 

Highlighted
Adventurer

so you do not want to be prompted each time and gopro  did not understand that, correct?

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

On the 7,6,5 there is a menu setting that I set to “do this when I connect an hdmi every time.” I set it to live and then everytime I connect an hdmi it instantly gives me a clean live out.

For my needs I am connecting this in the field to a cellular bonded encoder that sends the live signal back to a production hub. I do not have a monitor connected to it in field. I set it up, check my framing and exposure via the app and then connect the hdmi. When the hdmi is connected I loose control in the app and I loose the lcd screen on the back of the go pro. The production hub is now getting a wireless video feed of the go pro slash screen / sd card media directory.

We had to switch all of our in car cameras to hero 5’s because of this issue with the 8’s. Our 7’s had a different issue that I create a new thread about, but in short, when connected via hdmi they don’t auto rotate and when you lock landscape up or down, that doesn’t lock the hdmi out.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Sounds like Beta cameras are out  and not a fully released. way to go pro

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]
Is this something that will be sent to the development team to address this in future firmware updates. @mariustanya
Highlighted
Hiker

I’m still looking for a solution to this.

On the H7B I can set in the menu “live” (clean out) via hdmi when an hdmi device is connected. On the 8 it auto goes to a splash screen then to my SD media. I’m then forced to navigate a series of buttons to get a live clean out. This only works if the monitor is connected at the go pro. If you are sending the live out somewhere else, the operator can’t see to navigate the menu. I should be able to pre select what I want to happen when I connect hdmi like on previous versions of the GoPro.
Highlighted
GoPro

@redwater53464, this is currently how the HDMI functions in the HERO8 Black with Media Mod attached. Anyhow, we appreciate the insight as it can help us build a better experience with our products. We'll relay this information to the team in charge.

Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked & have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!