Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

[ New ]

On previous GoPro's you have the option to choose what happens when connecting via hdmi. On the new 8 Black with the media mod it goes straight to your sd card media.

I am using the camera for a live in car camera for a broadcast. I need to set it to give me a live clean out via hdmi upon connection like the previous models.

I'm using an 8 Black with Media Mod. Firmware up to date. I need "Live View" out without having to choose that each time I connect the hdmi. The previous go pro's have this feature so I set it to "Live View" and everytime I plug in an hdmi it gives me a straight clean out.

IMG_1852.JPG
GoPro

Re: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

[ New ]

Hello @redwater53464. You should still be able to choose which media or information to display on your TV screen. See the instructions under Connecting to a Big Screen with an HDMI Cable at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-the-Media-Mod-for-HERO8-Black/ta-p/498557 for a guide on how to navigate through the HDMI display. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

so you do not want to be prompted each time and gopro  did not understand that, correct?

Hiker

[ New ]

On the 7,6,5 there is a menu setting that I set to “do this when I connect an hdmi every time.” I set it to live and then everytime I connect an hdmi it instantly gives me a clean live out.

For my needs I am connecting this in the field to a cellular bonded encoder that sends the live signal back to a production hub. I do not have a monitor connected to it in field. I set it up, check my framing and exposure via the app and then connect the hdmi. When the hdmi is connected I loose control in the app and I loose the lcd screen on the back of the go pro. The production hub is now getting a wireless video feed of the go pro slash screen / sd card media directory.

We had to switch all of our in car cameras to hero 5’s because of this issue with the 8’s. Our 7’s had a different issue that I create a new thread about, but in short, when connected via hdmi they don’t auto rotate and when you lock landscape up or down, that doesn’t lock the hdmi out.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Sounds like Beta cameras are out  and not a fully released. way to go pro

Hiker

[ New ]
Is this something that will be sent to the development team to address this in future firmware updates. @mariustanya
Hiker

[ New ]
I’m still looking for a solution to this.

On the H7B I can set in the menu “live” (clean out) via hdmi when an hdmi device is connected. On the 8 it auto goes to a splash screen then to my SD media. I’m then forced to navigate a series of buttons to get a live clean out. This only works if the monitor is connected at the go pro. If you are sending the live out somewhere else, the operator can’t see to navigate the menu. I should be able to pre select what I want to happen when I connect hdmi like on previous versions of the GoPro.
GoPro

[ New ]

@redwater53464, this is currently how the HDMI functions in the HERO8 Black with Media Mod attached. Anyhow, we appreciate the insight as it can help us build a better experience with our products. We'll relay this information to the team in charge.

Let us know if anything else comes up. Stay stoked & have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Someone else I was talking to on here had the same issue.  I gave him a solution which seemed to work and that was just to memorize the button presses.  

So when it comes to the "monitor" view..   you start off in the default of having the info displayed.  I just pressed the side button 4 times and then clicked on shutter and this removed the battery info and turned it into a "live" view without battery information being displayed in the feed.

Hiker

[ New ]

Agreed with the OP, very frustrating. We need to be able to get live HDMI without the gallery splash screen. We also need quikcapture to work (currently not possible when the media mod is attached).

Backpacker

[ New ]
Just checked this on my Hero 8 since I hadn't heard it reported as an issue. Quick capture worked fine for me with the media mod attached.
Hiker

[ New ]
Quick capture worked but that is for 1 button turn on and record to card correct?

I’m talking live out via hdmi.
Backpacker

[ New ]

The previous poster was having insisting quick capture didn't work with the media mod, I was replying to him to let him know that it does.  So maybe he has a camera fault or his button isn't lining up.

With your issue, since it's programmed into the GoPro that playback is the default mode, your only option for now that works is to simply memorize the button presses and go with that.

If enough people complain, GoPro may be able to change their software to change the default mode, but it all depends on numbers.  If more people want it to stay the way it is, GoPro won't change it.

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank you for your reply. I just wish it had the same menu option that the 5,6 & 7 have.
Backpacker

[ New ]

I agree with you totally.  I prefer to have options that you can choose rather than baked in defaults.  I know GoPro is changing how they do things, they are really putting efforts into developing their software and getting user feedback to improve those changes.  Hopefully they carry this attitude over to the hardware side of things too.

Never miss out on the opportunity to suggest hardware or software changes, so use the feedback option in the GoPro app to suggest improvements or bugs with the app and use the "feedback" option at the bottom of this page to suggest hardware improvements (such as being able to select the default mode for the media mod).  It helps GoPro and most of all, it helps you!

Hiker

[ New ]

My media mod within 3 hours of use, so I suspect that may have also been causing an issue with using Quikcapture

Hiker

[ New ]

SO, I have a new media mod, and quick capture still does not work with the media mod (that is, when quick capture is activated, there is no live feed).

Also, did anyone at GoPro even use this device before releasing? The USB and HDMI sockets are way too close together. Unless you use Hyperthin branded microHDMI cables, a HDMI and USB-C cable barely fit next to each other. If I use one of my cheaper HDMI cables, the USB and HDMI plugs interfere and do not sit correctly in their sockets....even the ribbon cable clip-on style HDMI cables do not fit....ugghhh...

Hiker

[ New ]

this might work, but it's not practical. It means you always need physical access to the camera, which is rarely the case for people who are using the live feed fucntion. They need to either include the startup mode as an option (ie gallery or live feed), or allow you to go to the live view from the app

Hiker

[ New ]
Both options sound good. They definitely need the menu option like the previous models. It would also be nice to have the app still work with the hdmi / media mod connecting.
Tourist

[ New ]

...The USB and HDMI sockets are way too close together....

I've been in a similar situation before with other gear and bulky molded cables. It's not the prettiest but it takes a few moments to file the side of the molded cable end.

I've been out in the field and have used concrete to do this lol.

Not an ideal solution and not my preference to mcguyver things - but most cables can spare a mm on either side to slim them.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I too am having the same issue. I use a Go Pro 7 Hero Black for Web streams through OBS and it works perfectly when I connect a HDMI cable to it with a clean signal. I recently purchased a GoPro 8 and waitied 4 weeks for the Media Mod which just arrived yesterday. I was shocked that when you plug the HDMI in that you dont get a clean HDMI out. I cant find any way to select this option to Live View as the screen is blank and even when I tried to scroll on it to prefferences it wont let me select anything as viewing the actions through my computer view on OBS. Basically really disapointed with this model. I would rather sell this and get another Hero 7 Black model.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Redwater can you tell me which firmware version and how you get to this screen?

I think I'm missing an menu item on mine. 

IMG_9390.JPG

Backpacker

[ New ]

The image in the last post is correct if you have a media mod attached and running the latest firmeware 1.60.  The only thing that will change there is the microphone selection if you have a microphone directly attached.

You can easily get a "clean feed" on your stream if the option is selected.  You have three options when your GoPro is attached to a hdmi (using the side mode button).  Playback option.  A "live" feed with the camera status displayed (battery, sd etc) and a "monitor" option which will be your clean live feed.

Hiker

[ New ]
You are incorrect. It is not easy. On previous model gopro’s you could pre- select what you want the camera to do when an hdmi is connected. You can not do that on the 8 with the media mod.

With the media mod and hero 8 you can not pre select what you want prior to connecting via hdmi.

The menu/settings were poorly designed and not tested. They took a step back from the hero 7 which took a step back from the 5.

Remember that when you connect the 8 via hdmi it also does not auto rotate and if you lock rotation, that doesn’t translate to the hdmi out.

I’d recommend using the camera before claiming you have an “easy” solution to a problem when you don’t.
Hiker

[ New ]
It's very frustrating. It's a software issue. All the previous model cameras allow this. I do not understand why they would neglect to include this in their new flagship camera. Unfortunately, If it is not updated soon, I will be forced to look for other action cameras that do give a clean out via hdmi and have a proper working auto rotate or auto lock landscape.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I 100% agree that this should be a priority for a firmware upgrade. The main reason I purchased the Media Mod was to use my GoPro Hero 8 as a webcam since we're doing a lot of that lately. What a hassle to have to go and press all kinds of buttons just to get a clean HDMI signal. There should definitely be an option for that to be the default when HDMI is detected.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue.  This is infuriating.  I just wanted to use my hero 8 for a live hdmi feed.  The camera doesn't have an HDMI out so I had to buy the Media Mod (and microHDMI to HDMI adapter) and now I find out that when you plug in the HDMI cable, the screen on the camera goes blank.  I am not able to see the monitor from the camera's location so I apparently have to memorize button presses (4 side 1 top) to turn off the battery indicator icon and there apparently isn't any way to get into preferences when hdmi is connected.  On top of that, when I try to plug in the USB-C to charge it, it automatically goes to playback mode and I have no clue at this point how to get it to go back to live view.  ...and now I hear that the previous models worked better.  These are simple software fixes.  Can we please get this fixed?  This is an otherwise amazing camera which is basically useless for me now.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @danielryanswain

When on the Playback mode, press the Mode button a couple of times until you get the camera icon highlighted.

Press the shutter button to switch to the live view.

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Lol. Please just have this issue fixed. I have a H8 with media mod collecting dust while I use my hero 5 for live broadcast.
Tourist

[ New ]

aragon1006 - Thank you for the tip but this is still a frustrating process.  Since the screen goes blank I have to... Press the side button to power on, wait 30 seconds (or walk in the other room to verify it is on), press the side button twice and press the top button once to switch to live view, and quickly press the side button 4 times (5 if you waited too long) and press the top button once to hide icons.  The ideal solution here is to not disable the go pro screen when connected to hdmi (for menu access and also to see where it's pointed).  If that is not possible, the next best option would be having the option in preferences to set it to default to live view with no icons when hdmi is connected.  ...or maybe just prompting with options before it switches off the screen and goes to the hdmi feed.  With all of the churches and other businesses now trying to stream, I would think this should be a high priority.  

Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro, please correct this issue. I purchased the Hero 8 for my wife to use as a higher quality webcam for seeing patients online, she won't use it because of the extra steps required to make the output clean everytime she turns it on. Seriously considering returning it and upgrading to a higher end camera that doesn't require her to fuss with settings.
Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Seems like now is the time to fix this issue?

I like the idea of being able to set a defult in the menu settings like previous go pro models.

I have two broadcasts next week, both of them we are using H5's.

The 7's dont auto rotate or lock hdmi out and the 8 is like solving a rubics cube with a blindfold on to get clean hdmi out.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hm - honestly, GoPro has now developed the eighth version of its action cameras / software. One should think that the feedback and wishes of the customers have been heard ?!
Instead, the HDMI port is removed, there is no external microphone input, the SD card is at least not removable for me without long fingernails or tools (knife, screwdriver ...). I have to pull out the battery every time ...

Some settings are also tricky ... Just the thing with HDMI as described here. If a video format only has Hypergboost on / off, the soft button cannot be used because it only switches between Hyperboost off and BOOST ... (Has anyone ever noticed this before?). The image stabilization tries to center the image for too long with fast movements and then to adjust with a jerk (which was not the case with the 7 series). Surely these are not new features ?!

In principle, I think it's great if there is a LABS firmware that has also programmed "gimmicks" ... but it would be even better if some bugs that have been around since the beginning were finally fixed!

The camera is a great product in itself and the top quality of the image alone compared to other cameras - do you have to ruin the product and customer satisfaction with such errors?

Hiker

[ New ]

there are now 5 pages of posts on this (more than 99% of other posts on this forum)....Surely that is enough to get it fixed???!!!

Any hardware people comment why it would not be possible to go straight to live mode? Surely it is just software right??? Fingers crossed for next firmware update

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes - Add my name to the people who want  to use the GoPro Hero 8 Black as a webcam connected to my PC

GO PRO -- THERE IS AN EASY SOFTWARE FIX -- Give us an HDMI streaming setting that we can select 

OR 

and don't make the screen go blank when we plug in the HDMI cable

or

if HDMI is plugged in

Default the output to HDMI

Just got my media mod and am so upset with this

After reading this forum, I got it to work by connecting it to my PC 

Firing up OBS as the screen viewer and then fiddling with selections to get video on the full screen, hitting record then stopping record. ... more fiddling to get rid of the battery icons.  Then I got clean HDMI out 

Then switched OBS off and started Zoom... whereupon I could stream from the GoPro to Zoom

So yeh - GO Pro

Are you listening to your customers?

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks to this thread, I got streaming to Zoom to work from the Hero 8 black + media mod.   Firmware version 1.6

Fired up Zoom and started a meeting

Switched camera on

Connected media mod to the cabling setup as follows

Media mod --> MicroHDMI cable -->  HDMI/USB converter --> USB 3.0 input to PC

In zoom, selected  video icon in lower left window  -- FHD capture option 

4 clicks on the side button of the camera

1 click on the top button of the camera

So I would still like the media mod to just default to HDMI instead of all those clicks....

Hiker

[ New ]

Just to clarify, see the picture...

In Zoom, you want to select as you video input FHD Capture

You will  then see a bunch of video recordings displayed as a matrix and some icons up the top

You want to select the camera icon shown  (that you will see displayed when you select the gopro as video input for Zoom

I had to click the right button twice till the camera icon was highlighted as shown in the picture

I then clicked on the top button to select it

Wait a couple of seconds and the battery and recording on screen display disappear and you have clean video

camera.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]

If you click on this symbol(that I thought was a redeye button) the onscreen display clears and you'll get a clean hdmi feed, without needing to hit record.

2020-07-06 22_23_13-Movies & TV.png
Sightseer

[ New ]

Bump.

This seems totally fixable through a software/firmare update.

I'm a brand new user who bought a hero 8 to stream among other things.

Changing the settings everytime HDMI is connected is pretty annoying.

Hiker

[ New ]

I justed tried using the Go Pro Hero 8 Black with the Media Mod for a clean locked off camera on a live broadcast.

I had to mount the camera where I wanted it using the Go Pro suction cup which worked perfectly as it always has

I plugged in the USB C cable to the camera so it would stay charged/ run off house power.

I plugged in the Micro HDMI cable to the Media Mod, screen went black. No problem becuase I have it directly connected to my switchboard. I walk over to my switch board wait for the awful Go Pro splash screen to go away and then I walk back to the camera where I press the button sequence to "Unlock" a clean image out.

Okay thats do-able but still garbage, It should really just defult to clean HDMI out or give me the menu option to force clean HDMI out.

But guess what...

Unlike every Go Pro before this one, when the media mod is connected and HDMI out is enabled the camera does not charge. The USB C does nothing. The camera instantly starts overheating and drains the battery within 20 minutes.

At this point the Media Mod is completely useless to me. Is this going to be fixed? Is the firmware going to be updated?

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks to  all who have posted here with how to work around the clean HDMI issue as well as their use models.

>>  Does anyone from GoPro monitor this thread, please

... because, if so, it would be great to know when you will be updating your software to fix this

Tourist

[ New ]

That's odd.  If mine is not recording and just outputting HDMI it does charge it.  It only stops charging it over USB-C if I hit record.  My problem with my MediaMod is that only Stereo Mic input works haha.  Front and Back doesn't record any audio.  Just silence.  I emailed suppport but haven't heard back

Hiker

[ New ]
Does it work for everyone else? When doing HDMI live out + USB C, does your go pro charge, or stay powered? Mine does not charge or power, it just drains the battery until 0%.
Tourist

[ New ]

Mine won't do anything if I'm recording.  But if I'm just using it with a camlink 4k or to a tv not recording with the hero8 itself, it will charge while displaying the screen. 
I'm not able to charge while recording with or without the media mod.  

Backpacker

[ New ]

So a couple of things real quick.

1:  If you plug your GoPro into an external power source, regardless or not of whether there is a media mod attached, it will not charge your battery while recording.  Instead it will drain your battery, shut down the camera (since your battery is now dead) and then start to charge your camera.  So any time you hook up your camera to an external power supply, you should remove your internal battery.

There have been reports of some people who have recorded hooked up to an external power supply and charged their battery, but this seems to be related to using very specific cables and chargers and you will have to hunt this forum for the information.  It was pretty detailed though.  

2:  Who hasn't seen a topic about "Camera not detected when plugged into laptop/pc"?  Seems the GoPro USB connections suffer from a lot of issues.  I can plug my GoPro straight into a particular port on my laptop (USB Gen 2 3.1) and it sees the camera.  Plug it into another port and nada.  Attach the media module and try on all ports and either way, the camera displays "USB connected", yet only the USB Gen 2 3.1 port will see the camera with the media mod attached.  As I'm sure you know, once that "USB connected" message is displayed on your camera, you basically cannot use it for anything.  This is most likely why most of you are having the issue of not being able to connect your camera to HDMI and power it at the same time.  The camera is detecting it's plugged into a data port (either it be on a laptop or a USB hub).  I just did a test by removing my battery, plugging in external power (hooked up to a phone charger plugged into the wall) and plugged in the HDMI out.  Camera was powered, turned on and sending a signal out over the HDMI cable.  

So if you're looking to power your camera and use the HDMI out at the same time, remove the battery first and make sure your USB power is coming from a power bank or a wall charger and not hooked up to your PC/Laptop or a USB hub.

Tourist

Rif.: Go Pro 8 Black HDMI out option using Media Mod

[ New ]

@GoPro Please give us an option to enable default clean live hdmi output with media mod installed!!! now this is garbage!!

Hiker

[ New ]
New H9 and H9 media mod is out. I guess that means everyone who bought the 8 is screwed. I definitely will not be buying the 9. I’m still stuck using H5’s for my broadcast stuff. I’d love to switch to the newest cameras but I need the menu option to force clean hdmi out when connected.
Hiker

[ New ]

Re webcam support on Hero8 Black, I just checked and it looks like GoPro has added it in an August firmware release

It would have been nice if they could have let their customers know.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

Hiker

[ New ]

From what I can tell, the new Hero8 black firmware will only support clean HDMI out menu selection via an app on your smartphone

I installed the new version 2.0 firmware today

No change in how the HDMI out works if you are simply plugging your camera into your computer HDMI port

No change to the Input/Output selection menu on the GoPro camera

I used the media mod microHDMI out connected to an HDMI to USB adapter and saw no change to this menu

The old method of manually arranging for HDMI out still works

When I tried a microUSB to USB3.0 direction connection, the camera was not recognized at all even when my USB Connection under Preferences was set to GoPro Connect as indicated in the instructions

Since the GoPro app doesn't work on my android, the firmware update does nothing to improve live streaming for me.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have had six of these now (we use them for work) and strangely, the last two out of three we got, produced clean HDMI out on power up, without having to go through the button pushing. So I assume there are some in the wild that have a different firmware, it would be nice to be able to manually update it