Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Glitches with my Hero8 Black and with the Smart Remote.

I've had my Hero8 Black for a few weeks now and I've updated the firmware to v1.60. I have noticed the following glitches:

• After the camera has been off of the charger for an hour or so, it sometimes won't power up unless the battery is removed and then replaced.
  • The Smart Remote occasionally becomes un-paired with the camera when it hasn't been used for a few days. This true even when the Smart Remote's battery is fully charged.
  • When the camera is in photo mode, a single press of the shutter button on the Smart Remote will almost always keep snapping images as if it was in LIVEBURST mode... and it won't stop until I press the shutter button on the Smart Remote again.
    On one occasion, It had taken 120 images before I could stop it.
    In contrast, pressing the shutter button on the camera or using the app takes a single photo as it should.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Glitches with my Hero8 Black and with the Smart Remote.

There is an audio glitch as well, that started after the latest firmware. They told me that the camera is for RMA which i do not agree. I also asked a friend and has the same problem!

Thanks,
George
Highlighted
Hiker

I wasn't aware of the audio glitch. How and when does it appear?

Highlighted
Hiker

Test it using a continious audio source ie youtube search tone sound and pick one. Play this on another mobile and record with your phone as a viewfinder/controller for at least 2 minutes. Listen to the video carefully after. You will propably listen to an interuption at some point. You must be very carefull to hear it if you have it. I already found on mine, on a friend's camera and on a youtuber.

Thanks,
George
Highlighted
Hiker

I just got through making numerous tests using the video mode that I use the most, 1080/30 fps, and I made several 2-1/2 minute recordings. The camera was placed on a small tabletop tripod in a very quiet room and was operated remotely from another room using the app (on Android). Here's what I experienced on playback....

• First, the mics are super sensitive. Despite being at the other end of my house, it picked up the faint click of the furnace turning on. It's located in the basement, yet, and I can't normally hear it with my own ears from that room.
  • The predominant sounds (artifacts?) I hear seem to depend on what type of sound I am recording.
  • While recording a steady 500Hz tone, I heard a faint sound similar to "camera handling" noises, although the camera was stitting stable on a tripod.
  • While recording a 1500Hz tone, I heard several random noises that sounded like digital artifacts quickly sweeping against the tone.
  • The noise seems more prevalent (although still comparitively faint) and more frequent with higher frequency tones.
  • The louder the sound is that I'm recording, the louder the noise appears.
  • The noises have a stereophonic effect.
  • While recording silence, I heard no noise.
  • The noises seem random, with no specific interval. Sometimes, they didn't occur at all.
  • All test tones exhibited some degree of digital artifacts, especially unstable amplitude, typical of all GoPro cameras.

To me, this sounds like errors in whatever audio DSP setup they're using (and possibly their CODEC compression). I'm not sure that their firmware updates can make changes to the DSP system. Unfortunately, I had not tried the test before updating my camera, so I have no idea if it existed prior to updating.

If used a different video mode, please give me the details and I'll try to replicate it.

For what I do, I don't rely much on the audio track from the GoPro anyway (I make promo videos for local bands and usually use the GoPro as the "drummer cam"), but I can see in most other applications where artifacts in the sound can be a major issue.