Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Gimbal options for gopro hero 8?

[ New ]
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what are the best current options for a gimbal compatible with the gopro 8?

The information on line is incredibly poor and outdated and it's hard to find any real information.
GoPro

Re: Gimbal options for gopro hero 8?

[ New ]

Hello @bouncycheetah. The HERO8 Black isn't compatible with the Karma Grip. 

Additionally, the camera already features HyperSmooth 2.0 which delivers ultra-smooth professional footage by correcting for camera shake. It crops your videos while recording, which lets it buffer the footage to eliminate bumps and jitters. This makes it perfect for biking, skating, skiing, handheld shots, and more.

Anyhow, if you're specifically looking for a gimbal to use for your HERO8 camera, you may check with third-party stores/channels. However, these accessories/mounts are designed by different manufacturers and we cannot attest to their products’ reliability.

Tourist

[ New ]
Amazon is your best friend. There are a few options available from third party manufacturers. Note as someone said, there is no real gimbal suited specifically for a hero 8.
You will find something with a bar that tightens across the front.
Tourist

[ New ]

I bought the Hohem iSteady Pro 3 to use it with GoPro Hero8 camera. I looked at good specifications: built-in power bank, splash proof, looked good.  I received it, opened the box and was satisfied because cosmetically the gimbal looks good and feels good in my hand.

Unfortunately the gimbal I’ve got required recalibration out of the box because it did not hold the horizon. I recalibrated the gimbal about 7 times during 3 days. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not.

Time from time the camera suddenly was turning upside down. The calibration process via app was awful: the app was moving from phase to phase to quickly and some illustrations created confusion because it was hard to understand how exactly to place the camera on the surface. The full calibration requires to use a Smartphone. I was not able to install the app on my phone because the phone is outdated. I used another phone to calibrate it but there must be an additional way to calibrate it using a PC or MAC. Or make an app compatible with older smartphones.

When the camera lens facing the sky (lens up)and I was panning the camera with the joystick, the camera was wobbling in all modes. Re-calibration did not resolve this problem.
This gimbal is not fully compatible with GoPro Hero 8. Physically you can use this gimbal with it but it is absolutely inconvenient. When you mount the camera with the battery door adjacent to the gimbals’ tilt motor the access to the battery door and charging port is blocked and you cannot use the built-in powerbank. When you mount the camera with the lens adjacent to the gimbals’ tilt motor the access to the camera power port is blocked and you enforced to power the camera first and then mount the camera on the gimbal. Additionally the mounting  process requires completely removing the mounting bracket. You cannot just slide the camera in between or you can scratch the camera. The Hero 8 is a battery hungry camera. So you have to spend more time to change the battery. The mounting bracket with screws makes sense when used on gimbals for Smartphone to make it more universal.  This gimbal was designed for action cameras. The quick release system would be much more helpful. 

I was not able to see the difference in stabilization when used the Hohem iSteady Pro 3 + GoPro 8 + HyperSmooth compare to only GoPro 8 +HyperSmooth.

Cosmetically the gimbal looks good but it has more disadvantages than advantages for GoPro Hero8 users.

Tourist

[ New ]
Unfortunately, that was the only one I was referring to. There is no option for Hero 8 directly yet.