Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Gap Between Lens Cover and Camera Body

[ New ]
After using the max lens mod, I put the standard cover back on, but there’s a small gap now between the cover and body.

Is this a known issue?
image.jpg
GoPro

Re: Gap Between Lens Cover and Camera Body

[ New ]

Hi @robertshaw66

I have not observed this on my end.

Have you tried removing the cover lens then installing it again?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes a number of times
Hiker

[ New ]
Yes, I noticed this with mine. I couldn't remember what it was originally or whether it was or is an issue. Now you've put it here and a GoPro employee has responded and noted they don't have this issue, suggests we have a problem. That is that they have tried the both Lens mod and the normal lens cover?

Great!
Hiker

[ New ]
A comment was made that the gap doesn’t matter as the lens inside has a seal against the cover. Does anyone (tech support) know if this is true?

I don’t want to return the GoPro if it doesn’t need to be.
Hiker

[ New ]
I have this issue too. I don’t know if the gap will cause the water seepage problem or not. The Max len mod is really difficult to push in. You need to press the lens inside with force to twist in position. Rubbish design and rubbish quality
GoPro

[ New ]

Yes @robertshaw66

The camera is waterproof without the protective lens cover 

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have this exact issue. I noticed the gap between gopro and protective cover after trying out the max mod. My question is, even tho gopro itself is waterproof without the protective cover, will the gap cause water to be trapped inside the protective cover? If that is the case, trapped water will be seen on the footage and very distractive. Any idea?

GoPro

[ New ]

@chihyunl4282, yes, the camera is still waterproof even without the Protective Lens Cover attached. As for the gap, try to remove the Protective Lens Cover and securely re-attach it to the camera, applying firm pressure.

Tourist

[ New ]
As long as the lens cover is properly attached it doesn't appear a small gap would allow water in. There's an o-ring on the lens cover that should seal to the metal mount on the camera, as well a rubber flange and o-ring on the camera lens. My H9 also has a slight gap, I submerged it in water for several minutes without getting water into the camera lens.