Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

GPS

The GPS wont turn on on my Hero 8 black. What can I do different to get a signal. I have tried multiple times in different locations and it wont connect.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GPS

Hello @shanew9. If you haven't yet, perform a manual firmware update following the steps under Manual Update here. After the update, try capturing videos with GPS again. Sometimes, the GPS does not get locked right away so make sure you have the GPS indicator icon in solid white prior to initiating the recording. If you can, test in an open, wide area, away from possible sources of interference. 

How do you check for GPS data? There is currently an issue with displaying GPS gauges for HERO8 Black using the Quik for desktop app. These instructions will guide you through viewing GPS stickers in the GoPro App. 

Highlighted
Nomad

In many cases the GPS data is recorded but the software fails to see it. To check if your videos contain GPS data, you can use this tool: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free

If they don't contain GPS data, here are some tips you can follow to get a better GPS lock: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Highlighted
Sightseer

I did a manual update and it’s working better now. I just don’t understand how a brand new product from a huge company doesn’t work correctly out of the box
Highlighted
Adventurer

Out of the Box, many asked that how can the camera not workcorrectly and here again is another gopro camera out on the market.

Highlighted
Explorer

Plenty of products these days release with incomplete software/firmware. Unfortunately, that is just the tech world that we live in. Often cameras and other hardware release with the caveat of promises for future updates for certain features. In a competitive market where annual releases are expected, this is just how it is.

One comment that you made that needs correcting is, "from a huge company".

With less than 1,000 total employees world wide, GoPro is anything but a "Huge" company. While they are globally recognized due to their amazing cameras, they are not "Huge".
Highlighted
Adventurer

yes a huge comapny like Gopro 960 plus  Sony is like 100K Plus  Apples to oranges.