Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GPS

I think Quik does not show GPS data when the signal is weak. I have seen different cameras perform very differently, GPS wise (for example GoPro Fusion performs extremely well compared to Hero 7), and maybe the signal quality varies even between units of the same model, and it depends on how you mount the camera... and there might be other random circumstances hindering the signal of one camera vs another one.

So it's probably not an incompatibility between Quick and the Hero8, but the fact that a particular Hero8 video has a weaker signal than other videos.

That what I SUSPECT, at least.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

kajuna, that assumption doesn't hold up.  I've been using the Hero 5 for years without any issues and the Hero 7 since the beginning of this year with no problems.  All cameras are mounted the same way on my JetSki and only the Hero 8 is NOT showing the guages.  It is definately an incompatibility with Quik and the Hero 8.

Highlighted
Hiker

I agree with that Jetskierorl
Highlighted
Nomad

I'm not saying that's not the case, but we have been getting posts about "Hero7 videos not showing gauges in Quik" for months now. My own Hero7 gets bad GPS signal very often, compared to other cameras, and I've used other Hero7s that would not even get any signal in the exact same mounting position and location. So there are discrepancies between units that might (might) get a video file above or below Quik's quality threshold.

An easy way to test this is to export the gps data of both cameras to csv in the Telemetry Extractor, while setting the gps fix filter to Any and Precision to 10,000. Then see which camera got better precision and fix values. Or I can analyse the files for you if you want
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Kajuna,Thanks for that.I have both GoPro 7 & GoPro 8.In trying to establish if the camera was at fault (No picking up GPS) I set both cameras up in an identical manner.

Switched on for 1 minute before shooting,right way up

Switched on for 1 minute before shooting,upside down

Same tests as above but in a car

Tried various shooting configuration ie Resolution,FPS etc

In all instances there was no Gauges/GPS capture on the GoPro 8 when viewed on the GoPro Quik program

In all instances there was full Gauges/GPS capture on the GoPro 7 when viewed on the GoPro Quik program

In all instances there was full Gauges/GPS capture on the GoPro 7 when viewed on the GoPro Telemetry Extractor program

In all instances there was full Gauges/GPS capture on the GoPro 8 when viewed on the GoPro Telemetry Extractor program

From the results I gleaned I am assuming rightly or wrongly there is an incompatability with the GoPro 8 and the GoPro Quik program.

Also on the android app the GoPro 8 is perfect in displaying data.

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Nomad

Hi @gavinp64 

I just analysed a couple of Hero 8 videos I could find and despite them having overall decent GPS quality, Quik gauges were disabled. It's a small sample set, but it's strange indeed. A possible explanation: The Hero 8 includes new data in the GPS stream (microseconds). It's possible that they decided to block Hero8 gauges in the Quik app until they are able to use the new data. Or there might also be a bug that prevents Quik from reading the new data structure. But I find this unlikely for one reason: telemetry is recorded exactly the same way as in previous cameras. I built the first version of the Telemetry Extractor for the Hero5. When the Hero6 came out, I didn't have to change anything for it to read the data, the same with the 6, 7, Fusion and now 8 and Max (the file extension changes with Max, but that's all). So if I didn't have to change anything in my software for it to read the GPS data, why would GoPro need to?

It can still be interesting to compare the quality of the GPS signal in both cameras. You can do so by looking at the last two columns of the exported CSV files (High "Fix" is better, small "Precision" is better). Before exporting, set the GPS Fix filter to "Any" and the GPS Precision filter to 10000. Or you can send me the video files (or the smaller LRV files) privately if you prefer and I'll do it.

So I'm not saying you guys are right or wrong. After many posts of people asking why Quik did not recognise their HERO 7 GPS data, the sympthoms of these looked similar, but I would also like to hear from someone that has managed to use gauges in Quik desktop with the Hero8!

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Kajuna,
I am not able to send over *.CSV files,the only extensions allowed are graphic eg *.jpg,*.png
Highlighted
Nomad

Can you send them by email to app@prototyping.barcelona?