Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GPS signal underwater

Hello everyone,

I'm a grad student studying freshwater habitats and I'm using a GoPro Fusion to record and analyze lakes. 

As GPS information is really important to me (the end goal would be to make some habitat maps), I would like to know if the Lat and Lon generated by the camera was accurate considering that it is 1 meter underwater. I was able to extract a csv file of the coordinates for each second of the recording, but the points seem to be plotted randomly and don't correspond to our route...  Would it be safer to use a GPS?

Also, I would be interested in knowing what is the coordinate reference system that the camera uses when it generates the coordinates.

Thank you

Alexander

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GPS signal underwater

Hello @bravepike21064

Very cool project you have there! At this time, we do not have information on the coordinate reference system used by Fusion. Generally, GPS signal requires line of sight to satellites. The location being underwater would have affected the signals as water is a different medium and there could be effects due to reflection, or refraction. Should you be insterested in sending a query or feedback directly to the team, you can do so through https://gopro.com/feedback

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bravepike21064

Very cool project you have there! At this time, we do not have information on the coordinate reference system used by Fusion. Generally, GPS signal requires line of sight to satellites. The location being underwater would have affected the signals as water is a different medium and there could be effects due to reflection, or refraction. Should you be insterested in sending a query or feedback directly to the team, you can do so through https://gopro.com/feedback

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Explorer

On, near, and especially under water will often result in multipath propagation and unreliable GPS data. I'm actually surprised that you are receiving a signal at all. However, even if the camera is getting location data from satellites, it's most likely going to be inaccurate as the signals will be bouncing all over the water surface.
Highlighted
Adventurer

I wonder did you start teh camera   above first as you placed in  or have you started recording in the water first?

Highlighted
Tourist

As the 360 bubble (acrylic ball) is sealed when the camera is in, there is no way to start the recording when the camera is submerged underwater. So, my solution is to start the recording, then point the camera to my GPS unit that records at the same time (so when I watch the video, I know exactly the position of each picture as I have the coordinates in the GIS layer). And then, I place the camera in its waterproof housing and start recording underwater.