Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GPS on GoPro 8 does not work

[ New ]

Hello , i am disapointed , due to fact we switched from a cheap dashcam to a GoPro 8 to get an improvement. I got a problem . 

We make inspection  videos with GPS data so we can run it in a GPS player tpo review the object quality . 

But I do not get GPS data , it is Switched ON and in the right region , But not data  :( . I also have run the latest Update from this webpage. Still no solution . 

Last 2 day's i have tried to contact the supportline , but no reaction . No Chat or No phonecall.  

How can i solve this ? 

Nomad

Re: GPS on GoPro 8 does not work

[ New ]

Is Quickcapter active ?
Then GPS does not work, even if the symbol is white!
Affects Hero 8 and Hero 9 ...
Therefore switch off Quickcapture, make sure that the GPS symbol is white and then start the recording - if there is no defect in the camera, it will work that way.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Oliverz513 , 

Thanks , but yes i also have switched off Quickcapture , still no GPS data and White GPS Symbol . But in Menu it is swithced ON . ?? 

Maybe it there is a defect in the camera , I have it now for a couple of weeks . 

Nomad

[ New ]

How are you trying to view the GPS data?  What program are you using?

Some programs are camera specific, so if you use a player that worked with your Dashcam, it may not work with your GoPro as the GPS data is stored in a different format.

Make sure you use something that's known to work with your GoPro action camera like Dashware or Racerender.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am using Dashware and GPS player , both no GPS. 

Nomad

[ New ]

Never heard of GPS player, so I cannot know for sure if that would work.

Dashware "may" work, but it's old and outdated software.

Go to this website and run Telemetry extractor (free)

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

This will tell you whether or not GPS data is actually on your video or not.