Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: GPS never shows

[ New ]

Hi @paler1 

Ok, so now you do get a signal. A really bad one, but it's there. Since you have gone through the tips on that page, this will sound repetitive, but usually the way to improve the signal is to wait more time between starting the camera and pressing record and finding a better mounting position. Where is the camera mounted? Is it up side up?

It could also be that your unit has a hardware defect that prevents it from getting a signal. It's uncommon, but I've seen some cases.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @kajuna,

The camera was on for at least 5 minutes before I started recording.  The camera was mounted on the outside of the windscreen on a scooter.  Camera top was upwards toward the sky with an unobstructed view; there was no interference from me nor other hardwared except for the camera mounting case.

Nomad

[ New ]

In that case I would contact support and see if they can replace it

Hiker

[ New ]

Chatted with somone via help and they said to return it which I have.  Now I'm debating whether to replace it or not.  The external mic adapter is a huge turn off for me.  Who in the design department thought that was a good idea?  On the plus side, I Ido feel that the GoPro optics are better than some of the competitors though.

Tourist

[ New ]

I should have never bought this camera. 

Microphone is useless, you can't hook up an external mic without a $70 Gopro adapter, that is the size of a brick.

Solution: Ended up buying external mic and manually syncing it, through editing. 

Software is complete garbage, can't even pick your own music.
Solution: Buy a subscription to video editing software

GPS is horrendous. As your video shows, even if you get GPS, is unreliable at best, and totally effed up at worst.

Solution: Buy a separate GPS tracker.

Hey GOPRO... can you seriously do anything right? the video quality is good, but that's 1 out of 4.

I wish I never bought the HERO 7 Black.

oh, and the battery life is terrible.

Hiker

[ New ]

I did end up returning the Hero 7 and got another one.  I do have an old Virb laying around but I feel the picture quality is poor.  However, the Virb Edit software is actually pretty good.  Sadly i do not know a way to directly get GoPro telemetry data into Virb Edit. 

For now, I've still been using GoPro Studio for video editing.  Quik is terrible with the only benefit is that it will display some telemetry data.  

I also use a lap timer and the kml data from that can be imported into a post processing software like RaceRender (approx $60) which seems pretty popular.  All said, I did buy the overpriced microphone adapter and a housing made by Ulanzi that is designed to hold the brick adapter.  I'll give this all a try the next track weekend.

Nomad

[ New ]

You can extract the GoPro telemetry to use it in Virb Edit here https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks @kajuna, I may play around with that.  Do you know what the sampling rate is for the GoPro telemetry?  For example, my lap timer is 10Hz I believe.