Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GPS never shows

U da bomb! Thank you so much! I'm watching YouTube tutotials on how to sync the .GPX/.TIF file to the video and it doesn't seem so bad...

Highlighted
Hiker

So what is the solution?  Is this just an accepted design flaw?  Part of the reason I purchased this camera was for the telemetry data.  Mine is mounted on a motorcycle with an unobstructed view of the sky.  Voice commands are off.  Camera firmware is updated.  I literally just had it outside in the yard away from the house without the case and it still could not get a GPS signal?

Highlighted
Tourist

I don’t believe there is a solution. I could never make mine work unless I was holding it in my hand. What I’ve never tried was the helmet attachment. If the helmet doesn’t work then this is just not made for this function.
Highlighted
Nomad

@paler1 In the situation you describe you should be getting a good signal. I do get it when being careful about all that matters for the GPS signal (already linked these tips: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-sticke... )

How are you checking if the GPS signal was recorded? GoPro apps can give you a false negative. Have you tested your files here? https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Kajuna, thanks for the input.  I went through the tips page previously and nothing jumped out as obviously wrong.  I have the checked the GPS by swiping down to preferences (which actually shows a solid white icon indicating GPS is on), then verifying it under Preferences > Regional -> GPS -> On.  However if I return to the default LED screen, no GPS icon is shown.  I tried recording after giving it sufficient time to acquire a signal.  Brought the footage into Quik and it says no GPS data is available.

This is really frustrating as I use this for motorsports activities. (sorry for venting).

Highlighted
Nomad

Quik will give you a false negative. Which camera are you using? Quik is not compatible with the Hero8 GPS data, for example. Have you checked your files here to see if they actually contain GPS data? https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/ If the GPS icon was white when you swipe down, I bet they do. (The GPS icon will never show in the main screen, that's an error on GoPro's documentation)
Highlighted
Hiker

I have a brand new Hero 7 black.  I've re-formatted the SD card, reset all of the factory settings, and updated the firmware.  I'll try again this afternoon to see if that helps or if the telemetry extractor works.  Lastly, I'll be using the camera at a different location next weekend, so that will confirm or refute if the GPS is working.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Highlighted
Hiker

I Kajuna,

I made a brief video shown here of what I get.  Note that I also tried the telemetry extractor and it gave similar nonsensical information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVauAWTiME0

Specifically, 

- the speed is incorrect, I was doing between 25-35 mph and come to a stop sign at the 1:45 mark

- the elevation is incorrect.  From a running app I know that this is essentially an uphill climb from about 550' to 600'

- the bearing is more or less correct

- the time is incorrect despite it being correct on the camera

- the mileage should be about 0.5 mile, but shows 0.0

- the track is really messed up as the path was nearly a straight line with a few minor curves

Since my trusty Hero 4 died a few weeks ago, I decided to upgrade to a Hero 7 Black. So far the only positive is the hypersmooth stabilization. The downsides...