Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GPS never shows

Hey guys. So when I turn on my GoPro Hero 7 Silver (with latest update) on my driveway the satelite signal is there, the speedometer works etc. But when I hook it up to my bike wheather I do Quik Captures or turn it on use voice commands like "GoPro Start Recording" I can never add the GPS/spedometer later. How do people do it in a group ride or bike race? This stupid thing never works...

Ps: I've already contacted support and they keep telling me the reason why the GPS features aren't working is because I cycle in places where there's no conectivity to the satelite. I don't believe that.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GPS never shows

Thank you for the clarification about the antena. Certainly a design flaw. My GPS is mounted in front of my handlebars so no room left. The solution should be simple then. Whenever I want the GPS gauges to show I’ll wear my GoPro on my chest (although I’m hunched over quite a bit...). If that doesn’t work I’ll just have to accept GoPro is not the right camera for me.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hello, @mrmarcosmiranda. It could be that when the voice command is used, the recording is initiated at once without always having GPS lock. As it sometimes takes a few minutes before the camera acquires solid GPS, it would be best to start the recording manually and only start when the GPS icon is solid white. 

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]
Thank you for the answer. What you said makes total sense. The only issue for me is that the way my GoPro is mounted, it makes it impossible to manually turn it on during a ride because it is mounted under my handlebar. I think the only solution is to dismount it, manually turn it on, acquire satellite signal (which is immediate when I’m holding it), start recording, mount it and leave. I can probably use voice commands to highlight. It would drain the battery but at least it’s get something... I’m very disappointed with this thing for cycling...
Highlighted
Nomad

I don't use voice commands, so I'm not sure, but can't you leave the camera on and say "GoPro start recording" instead of leaving it recording the whole time?

Also, mounting it under your handlebar is not ideal for GPS reception (especially if it's upside down!), as the GPS antenna on the GoPro loses signal easily if it does not have a clear view of the sky (and it does not have a 3G antenna to improve the lock speed/reliability).

You can find more tips on how to get good GPS results here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for the clarification about the antena. Certainly a design flaw. My GPS is mounted in front of my handlebars so no room left. The solution should be simple then. Whenever I want the GPS gauges to show I’ll wear my GoPro on my chest (although I’m hunched over quite a bit...). If that doesn’t work I’ll just have to accept GoPro is not the right camera for me.
Highlighted
Nomad

Im my experience mounting the camera on your chest does not deliver good results either. Your head and back will cover 50% of the satellites or more. If you can't use a helmet mount, another solution would be to export the data from your standalone GPS tracker to GPX format and use some third party software (Virb Edit, After Effects...) to create the gauges overlay.
Highlighted
Tourist

So that’s how they do it then!?! You’re my hero Kajuna. Thank you!
Highlighted
Nomad

The workflow for syncing the data and creating the overlay will be more complicated than it is with the integrated data, of course. Let me know if you need help with that (I create apps in that space)