Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GPS data hardly works

[ New ]

I've been trying to get my GPS guages to work for a while. Most of the time I get GPS data not found. Yet when i'm recording the camera does have the GPS icon in white (not gray). When I do get it to work, it seems to stop.

Right now is probably the most ideal conditions, no clouds, hardly any leaves on trees, and yet it still fails. My phone and watch have no issues with GPS. Here's an example:

https://youtu.be/TyVQps9pZe0

Testing the go pro hero 7 4k 60fps with GPS on, looks like the GPS isn't working so great :(
Adventurer

Re: GPS data hardly works

[ New ]

Adventurer

[ New ]

uncertain for me. but I suggest to allow the lock like you see me doing getting gps working,  lets see if you can  show....

Tourist

[ New ]

yeah it was definetly white before each clip, the indication that you call "locked on". You can see in the start of the video it worked well, but then..... it just stopped. Other videos just don't have data at all. Still the same settings.

Thanks for yoru post and making the video, but that's not really my issue.

Adventurer

[ New ]

then by all means warranty the camera if the issue is not resolved.

Backpacker

[ New ]

In my experience, mounting your camera on your chest can be a problem for the GPS signal (your body and head are blocking at least some of the satellites). Keep in mind that GoPros don't have a cellular antenna to enhance the GPS satellite data with, so they can be less stable than a cellphone.

Also, I would say in your sample video the data is out of sync due to using the latest version of Quik.

You can find some solutions and suggestions here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...