Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: GPS Data

Very dissapointing when most any other action camera has the gps feature.  GPS was one of the reasons I bought the 5. I had a 3 and sold it when I found out about the 5. Fortunately for me I can use my Contour +2 to capture the gps data while using the gopro for video, but still extremely disappointed to learn that the Hero 5 gps is pretty much a joke. It's a great camera as far as other Hero cameras go, but who the heck screwed up so bad in design by leaving out GPS for video. Like I said, the $99 Contour +2 even has it.  Hopefully they can add this feature with a firmware update and make this great camera, STUPENDOUS!  Not gonna hold my breath though.

Highlighted
Hiker

Very bad..garmin provide a lot of overlay data fields :(
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just a photo !? cmon !! what about raw txt file with GPS track ?!

Still the information on the web page is so poor and there is no way to figure out this !

Highlighted
Anonymous

There is a comment from a support guy somewhere on here which says that you can utilise the GPS data within Google Earth. Okay...

Have spent a little time in there and there is no mention of GoPro on any of the drop downs.

The Import drop down which would seem to be the right place has similar sounding data sources such as Garmen, but no mention of GPS.

One of the main reasons I was excited about this camera.

Bull**bleep**.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi everyone, 

I'm sorry to see that there's been some confusion in regards to GPS data in the HERO5 Black. The camera does record GPS data (as long as GPS is turned on) to both photos and videos. The limitation to photos is for Apple products at this current time, thought Windows and Android shouldn't have a problem.

This GPS data is currently used only for organizational purposes in albums and in different editing and photo/video management software. The data is written on the files and whether or not that data is read really depends on the application that is being used. Most applications that read GPS data should be able to use that information to place your GoPro media and organize it accordingly.

I hope that info helps!

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks but the reason we're confused is you havent provided any info! We want a tutorial video on GPS like you have created for other things.

Also another thread entry from a GP support guy said we could use this with Google Earth, with no explanation or ellaboration. We need instructions how that works too. 

FYI all - i have had some success with Lightroom. I did a timelapse (photo TL not video TL) around the block and managed to get the GPS info to display the route on the map. The MAP is one of lightrooms modules (tabs). This was easy, once the TL pics were imported the map auto updated with the locations of each shot.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Hi Matt and thank you for the answer; i think that gopro 5 is a professional sport camera with GPS and other internal sensors support...this mean that i could use any GPS data stored during the recording session when i create the final video..gopro studio must be updated soon to manage this data to perform a layer-based overlay GPS data ( speed, map, etc... ) like other competitors already do ( ed. Garmin ). 

when i see the GoPro 5 box at the store i think "wow ! GPS support, it's a gopro!! now a can record my riding track on snowboard/motorbile etc!! "...how could i do that ? mhhhh....no sample video...nothing found on GoPro homepage...mhhhhh

Andrea

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm calling BS. I've tried every app I can find and NONE will access the GPS data from the file.  It simply does not exist.
If it does as you claim, then name even one that works with the GoPro camera.  I've tried just about everything and there simply is no GPS data in the video file or I would have found it.