Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

GPS Data

How do I access the gps data? The manual and nothing online tells me what I can do with it or how to use it.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GPS Data

Same problem here - no detail information using GPS information in my software... Disappointing

Highlighted
Anonymous

I too am looking for some assistance on this.  I have an .mp4 file and an .lrv file.  Most cameras that stream GPS that I am familiar with also provide an XML formatted file which records the latitude/longitude/and timestamp which accompanies the video.

I have also tried looking at the meta data tied to the video using VLC Media Player, and the metadata tab shows up empty.

I'm not sure how to access the GPS information with the videos.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Status update, I just got off chat support with GoPro.

The GPS integration on the GoPro Hero5 is only for single taken photos.

Videos and pictures taken under time lapse will not include location information.

This seems to go against their sales materials, but it is what it is.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Then why under gps settings does it say it will show location of VIDEO and photos.  Serious weak if it only works on photos. The new Contour camera I just bought has gps tracking that you can follow on Google maps as you view the video. Seems Gopro has some catching up to do.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yeah, its disappointing.  

Can you get me the details of the contour camera that you are working with?  I'm interested in how easy the raw GPS information is... does the contour provide a video accompanied by a .gpsx or .txt, or some other file that provides the lat/long stream?

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm using the Contour +2 camera. It creates a. Gpx file that works great with garmin VIRB editor. I like yhe form factor of the contour better as well. GoPro is a better camera with all the features but I'm seriously disappointed in lack of GPS in the GoPro. I'll use the hell out od the GoPro but when i want the GPS data, it's a no-brainer, contour wins.
Highlighted
GoPro

"The GPS integration on the GoPro Hero5 is only for single taken photos."

Seriously? A reason for me to consider to use my money back option. Absolutely disappointing.