Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GPR (RAW) OCUPA MENOS QUE JPG?

Buenas,

No se si os pasa a alguno pero cuando hago una foto en RAW el archivo Raw varía con respecto a JPG. Es decir ocupa menos espacio (debería ser al revés) y la foto tiene diferente color a la JPG es como si fuera al contratio pues el jpg parece que tiene los colores más "crudos" que el RAW.

Alguien me lo explica?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GPR (RAW) OCUPA MENOS QUE JPG?

Hi @supervista67241

Capturing RAW photo allows for less compression than the standard .JPGs, yielding higher quality photos, and more flexibility while editing. When this setting is turned on, the photos will be saved as a .GPR file with an accompanying .JPG image (for immediate viewing on your camera or sharing with the GoPro App). The .GPR format is an extension of Adobe’s .DNG format, adding enhanced compression (VC5 Standard) for faster storage and smaller files without impacting quality. VC5 compression takes what would have been a roughly 20MB file and reduces it to between 3-7MB. 

For reference: What is RAW Format?

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

@supervista67241, I'd say that the color difference is normal if we'll be comparing .JPG files with .GPR files since RAW file preserves most of the information from camera, such as sharpness and contrast, without processing and compressing.

What camera are you using? If you have HERO7 Black and SuperPhoto is enabled, the camera will apply the best image processing for the shot to give you the best photo (.JPG file) automatically.

As for the file size, RAW files are expected to have higher file size than .JPGs because all image data are captured and less compressed in this format.

I tested this out on my HERO7 Black camera and the RAW file I got still has larger file size compared to the .JPG file, even with the SuperPhoto enabled in the camera.

That being said, you may try to reinstall the firmware update of the camera to help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras 

Let us know how it works for you.

Ann

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, I'm using a hero 5 black. THE RAW FILES SIZE LESS THAN JPG. WHAT IS THAT POSSIBLE?
Highlighted
GoPro

@supervista67241, as far as I know, the file size depends on the compression process. This means that if the image file is less compressed, then the file size will be larger. However, this might also indicate an issue with the camera if the file size doesn't seem rational enough.

Have you experienced this issue before? When did this started from happening?

You may try reinstalling the firmware update of the camera as it can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO5 Black

Highlighted
Tourist

gopro fotitos.jpg

Highlighted
Tourist

Enrique I attached you a sreenshot. You can see how my jpg is larger than my gpr... Why?

It´s a hero 5 black

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @supervista67241

Capturing RAW photo allows for less compression than the standard .JPGs, yielding higher quality photos, and more flexibility while editing. When this setting is turned on, the photos will be saved as a .GPR file with an accompanying .JPG image (for immediate viewing on your camera or sharing with the GoPro App). The .GPR format is an extension of Adobe’s .DNG format, adding enhanced compression (VC5 Standard) for faster storage and smaller files without impacting quality. VC5 compression takes what would have been a roughly 20MB file and reduces it to between 3-7MB. 

For reference: What is RAW Format?

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Ej