Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GPH5 rode mic no audio?

My camera is nearly a year old.Ive decided to finally use an external mic.I tried 3 saramonic mics thinking I had defective mics after trying everything setting with PT levels or just off.No audio. Then I figurged maybe I had a junk gopro mic adapter and bought another one.Still no audio using the external mic.Ive now gone to a rode mic after seeing countless videos suggesting it.Still..no audio.After doing some more digging some people I need a trsto trrs patch cable for the mic to work.All the videos Ive seen with people using this mic do not mention or see them using the rode trs-trrs cable.I have updated my camera.Im starting to think my camera is junk and its too late for warranty as it appears no matter what mic or adapter or setting I use..only the internal mics give me audio recordings.What am i doing wrong..or should ditch the hero 5 and look into other camera alternatives?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GPH5 rode mic no audio?

@fishycomics I saw a few videos regarding the positive click when plugging in the rode mics.I noticed it the very first time I tried it vs other mics.Its quite audible and you see how flush it is when seated correctly.Hopefully when i get a new camera the troubles will be over and I will have better audio recordings with my videos.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Are you turning the camera on prior to recording or are you using Quick Capture?  You should turn the camera on first, and then press the record/shutter button.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes i turn the camera on first .I do not have quick capture turned on at all either. PT audio is off,and standard mic is my default setting for the external mic. I tried testing the Rode trs-trrs cables..absolutely no change.No audio when trying to use ANY external mic setup!So to recap Ive tried:

2 Saramonics mics

1 Rode Videomicro

1 rode sc4 trs to trrs adaptor(tried on all 3 mics and all mic settings)

1 Rode sc7 trs to trrs patch cable(tried on all 3 mics and all mic settings)

2 Gopro 3.5 mic adaptors

At this point for what im spending on solutions for getting better vlogging audio,my camera must be defective and its a shame Im only now finding this issue after owning it nearly a year.Pretty disappointed,I know the camera is documented everywhere about poor audio and many other people using external mics raving about how great it improves audio quality with simply using another mic.I must have the 1 camera that doesnt work no matter what and cant get it replaced or fixed now.

20180328_002010.jpg
Highlighted
Explorer

I understand that you are probably out of the warranty time period, but have you contacted GoPro?  The Support Team will try to work with you in resolving this. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Highlighted
Adventurer

Take hte TRRS 4 pin cable put that to the side and only use it with your Smartphones that is what the cable is meant for not a gopro 3 pin sterio jack port.  Miss matching leads.

1 You did not meantion firmware you are on.  As long as you are not on factory firmware you should be good.

2. You did not meantion if you went into  Prefrence/audo imput and tell us if the  audio imput is greyed or white.  You need to  place a command by pressing it to turn white (understanding you know that)  if it stays greyed out.  Suggestion plug in the Promic and   superslow pull out to see if it connects.   I been there and done that.

3. Turnb on camera.  Plug in MIC to promic first.  Plug in promic to USB type C port.  Hit Rec. allow 15 seconds at 5 seconds  say something at 15 secs turn off and  play back via camera (set volume up) or playback  in Puter.

All that failed to work you said.  

Make sure the Rode is  plugged in that cable  jack is  really hard at first to make a connection one you feel how hard it is to get in then  that can be the issue  but  like you said the camera.

Highlighted
Tourist

I DID mention in my first post the camera is updated.I DID mention that the audio settings have individually been tested from standard to line input(hence not greyed out) with each mic..alongside each audio setting i tested each with PT from off-high.Ive made nearly 50 clips and counting.I did mention I do not use quick capture and manually turn the camera on before I start any recording.I got the adaptor cables simply to further prove it has no bearing what the mic or cord..or audio or pt setting ...or gopro mic adaptor I use.No external audio is being record.The moment I unplug the gopro mic adaptor ..before or during a recording.I have audio again. Has to be a camera issue,and one I dont see gopro doing anything to help fix without me spendin more money to fix..or just replace with a hero 6.

Highlighted
Explorer

[ Edited ]

First, this is a member to member support site. Someone took the time to reach out and try to help. You may have provided all of the information, but there is no reason to give so much attitude in your response.

Second, you wrote, "dont see gopro doing anything to help fix". You are basing this on what? Is it safe to assume that you actually contacted GoPro? You stated that your camera is "nearly a year old" so it should still be under warranty.

I get that you're frustrated and upset, but before spending money on accessories you don't need, contacting GoPro should have been your first action. Now that you've wasted time and money, why wait any longer? Complaining here isn't going to get you any closer to a resolution. @fishycomics has extensive knowledge of GoPro cameras and especially when pairing with an external mic.

I personally use a Rhode video micro and have no issues, but that is as far as my knowledge goes. If you've tried everything Fish described and still have issues, contact GoPro.

I really do hope that you get this straightened out and are able to use your camera as you invision. But, try to be a little more courteous in your responses.

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Thank you .

I have to make sure,    because  I  been there and done that.  Here in my video  I show a hero 6 not the hero 5 working but if you want a video of  quikcapture working.  that is exactly what you are doing and no sound?

@danielr15  Agree.

@regi221982 This is what gopro said, there is a fix coming but for now rephrain from using  quikcapture. that   has been from Fall of 2017.

Not just GoPro but another Company they are taking away all older devices and forcing you to use the latest.  Apple, Samsung and a few others.  FYI.

4 pin smartphone cable  needs to have a adapter or the correcttrs cable.

We suggest as @danielr15  If you are under  warranty you are to call  up. otehrwise your issue is on your Sound board. and that can not be resolved  in talking about it. not here to insult. or pun  Jeep the site posted, research deep in here you'll find you are not the only one with hte issue or am I with that issue that I resolved on my own.

FISH