Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GP9 White balance -Native- Correction Request

[ New ]

Hi.

I am not sure if this is the correct place for suggestions, but I would like to ask Gopro 9 developers to improve the color balance for Native in the next firmware update.

Most people recommend to setup w.b. as Native if you want to do the color correction in post production, and that is what I would like to do, but Gopro 9 Native has very bad color balance, especially when it comes to displaying red tones, as they always appear orange or even yellow, but not red as they are in the real world.

I attach two shoots taken from the GP9 clips that had been taken at the same time and at the same place.

The pic on the left is shot with Native color and the rose there is orange, but in reality that rose is light red as shown on the other pic which was taken with w.b. 5000K.

Please, would it be possible for the GP9 teams to do some work on this as I think Gopros (7, 8, 9) in general "like" blue but hate red.

Why?

mpv-shot0002.jpg
Hiker

Re: GP9 White balance -Native- Correction Request

[ New ]

And here is the second shoot with wb 5000K where the color of the same rose as above is almost like in the real world.

mpv-shot0001.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @vicl487

We'll have this shared with the team.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Also, an update for the HERO9 Black has just been released,

Please have your camera updated and let us know how it goes with the new version.

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]
There are GoPro LUTs available specifically for native WB. I use one in iOS / Lumafusion which btw can do 5k. Great colors, natural.
Nomad

[ New ]

@vicl487 wrote:

Hi.

I am not sure if this is the correct place for suggestions, but I would like to ask Gopro 9 developers to improve the color balance for Native in the next firmware update.

Most people recommend to setup w.b. as Native if you want to do the color correction in post production, and that is what I would like to do, but Gopro 9 Native has very bad color balance, especially when it comes to displaying red tones, as they always appear orange or even yellow, but not red as they are in the real world.

I attach two shoots taken from the GP9 clips that had been taken at the same time and at the same place.

The pic on the left is shot with Native color and the rose there is orange, but in reality that rose is light red as shown on the other pic which was taken with w.b. 5000K.

Please, would it be possible for the GP9 teams to do some work on this as I think Gopros (7, 8, 9) in general "like" blue but hate red.

Why?

Hero 9, 8 and 7 black has the same strange red color in native color mode. You need always to fix it with a software. Its realy strange...I also noticed that H9 flat color profile is no "flat" like it was in H7

Tourist

[ New ]

totally agree.   It's especally difficult to get a flat WB when in the shadows of trees on a sunny day. The auto mode is always moving around and every preset is wrong in this context. I just update the firware. Hopefully it's will resolve this problem.