Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: GP9 Max Lens Mod poor Stills image quality

[ New ]

gopro's copy and paste approach is so F*&ked up - lol i'm so glad i've tapped out....... just here for the ride now witnessing a $1b company working out of a backyard. and having a giggle along the way....

why don't they use the forum how it should with actual threads per camera on topics, i.e. max lens, audio  popping sub folders etc - FFS i'd expect this forum layout in a 1st gen kickstarter self funded startup with $10 in the bank.

LMAO 

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm sorry to say, there is no way to get through to support. The issue seems to be a general limitation, something that isn't advertised But looking further into it (Without any help from you), it appears that the quality reduction is because the image is being heavily cropped with lens mode activated. Look at this https://youtu.be/ZVxi3n_2RXI. It illustrates what the lens and mode are doing to the images. Work around, turn Max mode off and use RAW with lens still on. Then edit the Circular image. Surely, a indication should be on the lens and mode - using this will reduce image quality - because that is precisely what it does.

What I find strange, is why you guys can not read the posts and attempt to trouble shoot, rather than jumping to a script of updating firmware or giving information about updates that is just not accurate. Surely this forum would benefit from GoPro hardware experts. After all, it's probably better to hear the "no, the camera can't do that or will never do that". Rather than, update the firmware or speak to a support which is frankly impossible to get through, to.

I only post this so it can possibly help others and partly do your job for you!
Tourist

[ New ]

A bit late to the party with this one, but I noticed the same the other day, wish i'd read this post before shelling out for the lens.

Seems to be a running issue with GoPro, I feel like you have to really really dig into every product to find out whether it'll actually function as you'd expect.

Like GoPro Plus stating 100% of your GoPro footage at 100% quality.  (except it won't upload raw photos)

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes, sadly, a lot of hype generated by social media displaces the actual reality. The actual footage becomes pretty poor to be honest. That probably on account of the crop and manipulation that another user alluded to. I still think they could look at it and improve or allow RAW, alas, I bet not a single jot. Maybe on the GP10 😂