Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

GP9 Max Lens Mod poor Stills image quality

[ New ]
Not sure if this is related to the mod or to the GP9. The still image quality just ain't good at all and seemingly blurred.
I'm surprised there are so many restrictions with the mod. For instance, no Raw images. Timewarp doesn't have speed ramping.
Wondering if the focus can be looked at and fixed? If the Raw and speed ramping can be added to a firmware update?
GoPro

Re: GP9 Max Lens Mod poor Stills image quality

[ New ]

Hello @deckys. Thanks for the feedback about the RAW and speed ramp with Max Lens Mod. We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users. We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge.

As for the image quality, we'd like to look further into this. Would you be able to provide us more information about the issue? It will also help if you can share with us a sample file showing the problem with the quality so we can check. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]
Sure what information do you need? Where am I sending the samples?
Hiker

[ New ]

It appears that the MP count drops from 20mp to 12mp, which shouldn't be a bad thing. But literally, all the stills appear to lack focus with literally poor results.  The end results look like some kind of Gauguin filter has been applied.
Now, I'm guessing people aren't going to be buying the mod for stills, but I don't want to be faffing taking it on and off just to take a picture with it.  The moving footage appears to be spot on with no such issues.  

I've attached a couple of pictures here for you to have a look at. But do zoom in a little

02E7B91F-8FFF-4674-AC7C-9B0644C99F87.jpegE66664D1-8AB7-42B9-A9CC-0F7E2CF927E5.jpeg

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for providing the sample footage, @deckys. Image quality issues in GoPro cameras are usually resolved by manually reinstalling the camera's firmware. Doing so can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

In addition, we will have an upcoming firmware update that would help fine-tune the Protune Medium Sharpness for 4K videos and it also includes a few more fixes to help improve your video and photo capture experience. For further details, check out this link https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates.

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi

Thanks for that. I'm a little **bleep** about updating my cameras and always do a manual update. Is there benefit continuously updating it given it's already updated via manual method.

Just a side note - please bear in mind (as per original post) this is done with Max lens mod. Therefore, it's not 4k. Additionally, these are stills. The touted 20mpx sensor outputs at 12 mpx with Max Lens Mod attached. Don't understand why you have done this?!
I ll keep an eye out for the image improvement too via firmware
Hiker

[ New ]
Any further help? The Update you speak of is the current update - 4 k. The Max Lens Mod records in 2.7k. There are no fixes for the image quality penned on the next update that has now been moved to December.

Why isn't RAW included in the pictures??
GoPro

[ New ]

@deckys, sorry to hear about the trouble. If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Nomad

[ New ]

gopro's copy and paste approach is so F*&ked up - lol i'm so glad i've tapped out....... just here for the ride now witnessing a $1b company working out of a backyard. and having a giggle along the way....

why don't they use the forum how it should with actual threads per camera on topics, i.e. max lens, audio  popping sub folders etc - FFS i'd expect this forum layout in a 1st gen kickstarter self funded startup with $10 in the bank.

LMAO 

Hiker

[ New ]
I'm sorry to say, there is no way to get through to support. The issue seems to be a general limitation, something that isn't advertised But looking further into it (Without any help from you), it appears that the quality reduction is because the image is being heavily cropped with lens mode activated. Look at this https://youtu.be/ZVxi3n_2RXI. It illustrates what the lens and mode are doing to the images. Work around, turn Max mode off and use RAW with lens still on. Then edit the Circular image. Surely, a indication should be on the lens and mode - using this will reduce image quality - because that is precisely what it does.

What I find strange, is why you guys can not read the posts and attempt to trouble shoot, rather than jumping to a script of updating firmware or giving information about updates that is just not accurate. Surely this forum would benefit from GoPro hardware experts. After all, it's probably better to hear the "no, the camera can't do that or will never do that". Rather than, update the firmware or speak to a support which is frankly impossible to get through, to.

I only post this so it can possibly help others and partly do your job for you!
Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

A bit late to the party with this one, but I noticed the same the other day, wish i'd read this post before shelling out for the lens.

Seems to be a running issue with GoPro, I feel like you have to really really dig into every product to find out whether it'll actually function as you'd expect.

Like GoPro Plus stating 100% of your GoPro footage at 100% quality.  (except it won't upload raw photos)

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes, sadly, a lot of hype generated by social media displaces the actual reality. The actual footage becomes pretty poor to be honest. That probably on account of the crop and manipulation that another user alluded to. I still think they could look at it and improve or allow RAW, alas, I bet not a single jot. Maybe on the GP10 😂