Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GP9 Max Lens Mod poor Stills image quality

Not sure if this is related to the mod or to the GP9. The still image quality just ain't good at all and seemingly blurred.
I'm surprised there are so many restrictions with the mod. For instance, no Raw images. Timewarp doesn't have speed ramping.
Wondering if the focus can be looked at and fixed? If the Raw and speed ramping can be added to a firmware update?
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GP9 Max Lens Mod poor Stills image quality

Hello @deckys. Thanks for the feedback about the RAW and speed ramp with Max Lens Mod. We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users. We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge.

As for the image quality, we'd like to look further into this. Would you be able to provide us more information about the issue? It will also help if you can share with us a sample file showing the problem with the quality so we can check. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

Sure what information do you need? Where am I sending the samples?
Highlighted
Hiker

It appears that the MP count drops from 20mp to 12mp, which shouldn't be a bad thing. But literally, all the stills appear to lack focus with literally poor results.  The end results look like some kind of Gauguin filter has been applied.
Now, I'm guessing people aren't going to be buying the mod for stills, but I don't want to be faffing taking it on and off just to take a picture with it.  The moving footage appears to be spot on with no such issues.  

I've attached a couple of pictures here for you to have a look at. But do zoom in a little

02E7B91F-8FFF-4674-AC7C-9B0644C99F87.jpegE66664D1-8AB7-42B9-A9CC-0F7E2CF927E5.jpeg

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks for providing the sample footage, @deckys. Image quality issues in GoPro cameras are usually resolved by manually reinstalling the camera's firmware. Doing so can also help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

In addition, we will have an upcoming firmware update that would help fine-tune the Protune Medium Sharpness for 4K videos and it also includes a few more fixes to help improve your video and photo capture experience. For further details, check out this link https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi

Thanks for that. I'm a little **bleep** about updating my cameras and always do a manual update. Is there benefit continuously updating it given it's already updated via manual method.

Just a side note - please bear in mind (as per original post) this is done with Max lens mod. Therefore, it's not 4k. Additionally, these are stills. The touted 20mpx sensor outputs at 12 mpx with Max Lens Mod attached. Don't understand why you have done this?!
I ll keep an eye out for the image improvement too via firmware
Highlighted
Hiker

Any further help? The Update you speak of is the current update - 4 k. The Max Lens Mod records in 2.7k. There are no fixes for the image quality penned on the next update that has now been moved to December.

Why isn't RAW included in the pictures??
Highlighted
GoPro

@deckys, sorry to hear about the trouble. If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.