Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GP7 Black, Corrupt video

So, taken a few videos yesterday with a Go Pro 7 Black. Software 1.51, with a Sandisk Extreme Plus Class 10 V30 card. Most of the videos turned out ok, with chapetering around 8:52 at 4K60 with Hypersmooth. However, a key clip was 4:04 minutes, but after 3 seconds into the clip, artefacts presented, and the video is frozen after 4 seconds till the end of the clip. The audio continues as normal. The file size (1.58GB) suggests it's appropriate for a 4 minute 4K60 clip. Is there any way to salvage this? Those 4 minutes were the highlight of the day, so much so that instead of letting it keep recording, I stopped recording afterwards, and started the next clip. Is this sort of corruption inevitable? In which case, what's the point of using a Go Pro? If my 2 year old phone says it's recorded something, at least the video plays back.

I'll have a stable internet connection in 3-4 days, when I can upload the clip in question.  

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GP7 Black, Corrupt video

It appears the issue is around more than one video. Here's a smaller clip that I've uploaded to youtube without any editing. I think it looks a bit "stuttery". There seems to be artefacts appearing, specially around water splashes. And the video completely freezes around 2:10, but the audio continues. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lnXvqKDCto&feature=youtu.be 

Go Pro Hero 7 Black edition with Sandisk Ulta (SANDISK - Extreme Plus Class 10 microSDXC Memory Card - 128 GB). Settings:4K @ 60fps, hypersmooth on, wide, 16...
Highlighted
Explorer

Is it a SanDisk Extreme or SanDisk Ultra? Two very different cards.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi Daniel, my bad. It's the SANDISK - Extreme Plus Class 10 microSDXC Memory Card - 128 GB.

The same card worked fine for 4k@60 with the Go Pro Hero 6 Black I recently upgraded from. In fact, the previous day to that video, I recorded some diving videos ranging from 25-35 minutes. They were chaptered perfectly, and ran smoothly, without any stutter. Wonder if it could be related to overheating, as the air temperature in Bali was 27 degrees celcius and over. The first few videos on the day recorded ok, but then things started deteriorating, and clips started freezing.
Highlighted
Explorer

It could be heat. Unfortunately, it can be hard to identify when it's not happening consistently. I would do a FULL (It will take a pretty long time on a 128GB card) format of the SD card just to make sure you don't have a bad sector. After that, download and install the Manual update (even if your camera is on the latest firmware). If you can, try a smaller (preferably 64GB) SD card from the list of recommended cards https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations just to confirm it isn't your current card (even if it's always worked great in the past).
Highlighted
Hiker

I wonder, when GoPro starts investigating this problem and actually solving it. This issue is probably inherited from GoPro Hero 6 Black - as it seemd to be introduced in latest firmware for 6 Black (2.01).

Highlighted
Hiker

Interesting.... I contacted support and they're RMA-ing the unit. The vast majority of people aren't having these issues (at least, I'm seeing lots of flawless GP7 videos online). I don't know if the RMA will work, but I can hope. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Haha. I got my Hero 6 replaced also. But just after upgrading to latest firware issue is back, and after downgrading it is just fine. I have also lots of flawless videos - this freezed video is one of.. some. Sometimes 2 in a row, sometimes 1 of 30.