Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GP7 4K footage stuttering

Hello there,

I bought the GP7 black at launch and have made several videos since then (mostly biking). I also have the GP6 black and had the 5 before.

My current (and the only) problem: all my videos start stuttering after one minute, the video is totally choppy, the sound is fine though.

I only record at 4K and had no issues whatsoever with my GP6 and 5, but cant get to fix the issue with my GP7.

My current settings:

4K, 24fps (pal), superwide, Hypersmooth on, HEVC, Samsung Pro Plus 128GB

You can see an example I shot today at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-7RTryQs6o&feature=youtu.be (4K is still processing via YT middleware, but you can see the problem cleary)

At around the 1 minute mark the whole clips seems to slow down or lose frames or something and the result is always the same. All my 5 clips I did today, start totally fine and after 1 minute, sometimes after 2 minutes, the problems begin.

At first I thought the issue was ProMode related so I disabled that, after that I disabled Superview, still no fix. All my footage from a trip to austria is kinda lost because of that and I finally want to know what the problem is.

It kinda looks like some sort of buffer gets filled and after that some cache cant get along with it - the xd card was used in my GP6 and also in my Sony X3000, which has write speeds of nearly 100MBit, so the card should be fast enough.

Temperatures cant be the reason either, austria was somewhere within the 15C Celsius mark (weather sunshine without clouds), the ride today 3C Celsius (dark-ish in the woods but the problem persisted when we entered the open parking lot), though the cam was in my warm pocket the whole uphill.

I also did several resets of the GP7, formated the sd card, firmware is the currrent 1.51 and honestly im kinda lost here.

Can any1 point me in the right direction or is the GP7 itself broken?

Greetings.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: GP7 4K footage stuttering

[ Edited ]

Hi

Looks like low light frames per second reduction. There is some option like this in menu-  > to reduce fps when scene has not enough light. I hope they will correct it because low light recording (however in my opinion was enough light to did not reduce fps)is a little bit messy in gp7. Try to record with OFF this option and remember more fps needs more light .... but in this case I am pretty sure is some firmware bug.

BTW: At the begining you camera pionting at bright part - up, sky. After than you are going down, pointing on the shadow ground...

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I know how it performs in lowlight, but all my videos in austria were shot in bright sunlight and protune settings (- EV, white balance etc) and still the problem was there.

I can give it a try although I know, that the problem persists in bright sunlight as well.

Highlighted
Adventurer

I hear ya, do you think spot metering or called   exposure lok may help.  I wonder if a rep can chime in to offer the teams professional editing skills?

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Heres another recording from today, this time with lots of light, still the same, the fun begins at 0:47

https://youtu.be/7JQyCLBPeqM

Highlighted
Nomad

Looks terrible.

- Have you try other sd card (do you have recomended ones?)

- What is source resolution of this file >? - on YT is 1080p in 30fps

- Maybe lost performance because overheating ?

- Try witohout hypersmooth .....

Very strange .... 

Highlighted
Hiker

Yes, tried other SD Cards, source res is 4k 24p, youtube is still rendering, hence you can right now only see 1080p.

Overheating is not possible, cam was off till i started the trail downhill, thats when I switched on the cam, after 1 min the stuttering started.

Highlighted
Nomad

HI

At 1:17 you hit the tree - this is a problem ;) OK sry joke. I know it is really annoying when camera doesnt work as should. YOu can do a test - try record 2 videos at the same conditions:

- turn ON low light and with HEVC and without (I dont have camera now but ther is 2 coding options)

- turn OFF low light and like above.

I am very curiouse as well how this video is working at the camera  ? When y r going to the gallery and play this sample there - d y have this stuttering ? Maybe it is only on your computer ?>