Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GP 9 Snail Icon

[ New ]

Hi, 

The snail icon has disapeared from my screen and is replaced by 1x , 2x, 3x, etc, etc, how do i get it back? I have reset several times, deleted the App, still the same? In the settings I can position the other icons, wind, stabiliser  etc, it shows the snail icon in the settings yet on the screen it just comes up as above! 

GP 9 Icon.jpg
Nomad

Re: GP 9 Snail Icon

[ New ]

The "snail" icon was your slow motion icon.  You would click on it to indicate that you were taking a slow motion video.  All this did was simply double (X2) the frame rate of your video.  So if you were shooting a 30FPS video, tapping the snail icon would turn your frame rate into 60FPS (30FPS x 2 = 60FPS).  It was also a bit useless as it didn't give you many options.

The new slider icon allows you to manually select the slow motion speed, so now you have 1x, 2x, 3x.  So those are your new "Snail" icons, it just now have more functionality.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks appreciate that, I saw it there when I first fired up the camera and thought I had changed a setting somewhere becuase in all the video tutorials it shows the icon, so what your saying is this is a replacment for that icon?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi there,

I have the same 'issue' or let's call it observation. I initially had the snail icon when I started the Hero 9 for the first time - I pressed it to try it out - and ever since I am getting a 1x, 2x etc. with every setting, also on those I never selected before. It looks like the slo-mo is never set back to the orginal icon, meaning the snail symbol disappeared forever. I have restarted the camera, removed and then selected the shortcut again - no change. 

Does this mean I always have to select '1x' to prevent the camera to change my frame rate when recording? 

Why is the snail symbol not appearing again? 

Thanks!

IMG_5450.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi there,

yes, understand that, but see my other message: what if I do not want to select 1x, 2x, 4x and so on? I would want the slo-mo icon to be there but deactivated, as I would not always want to record using a slo-mo setting. It is convenient to have it there in case you would want to use it. But when I click on it to then select either 1x, 2x, 4x and so on, I should have an option to reset it to the orginal snail icon? Stating I do not want to use it? Like an 'on/off' switch? 

Interestingly the manuals and also video tutorials I have seen always have the snail icon there. 

Is that a bug that should be corrected?

Thanks.

Nomad

[ New ]

It's not a bug, it's an improvement on the original snail icon.

The snail icon once activated was 2x by default and that was it.  If it was not activated it was 1x.  If you recorded at 60FPS it was enabled by default as once you go above 30FPS (the next step being 60FPS) you're recording a highframe rate/slow motion video.

So if you record at 30FPS, you've already selected 1x

If you record at 60FPS, you've already selected 2X

If you record at 90FPS, you've already selected 3X and so on.  This is true whether or not your icon is a snail or not.

With the snail icon, you had one option only, 2X

With the new icon, you can select 2X and it works the exact same as the snail icon, so just leave it at 2X if you have a snail icon fascination or obsession.  2X IS the original snail icon option.

If you want other slow motion options, just select if you want 2X, 4X etc.

In short, the snail icon did nothing but toggle between 30FPS (1x) and 60FPS(2x) while your camera was not recording.  Now you have the exact same functionality, you can still toggle between 1x and 2X by sliding the icon, you just have even more options now.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi there, 

got it, perfect, THANKS for speedy response!

Cheers and have a great start into the new year!