Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GP 7 black is draining when it is switched Off

I’ve noticed that when the GP 7 black is switched off the battery drains in a few hours overnight.

• connectios (GPS, Wifi) is tuned off,
  • speech control is tuned off,
  • quick capture is tuned off.
  • Camera is updated (1.61 firmware was updated manually via microSD card - Samsung EVO Plus).

Battery is made in Vietnam (Samsung).

Test of Battery integrity passed and times are according these specs https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hero7-battery-information

I tested gopro many times and battery is stil draining when is turned off. Every hour at least 1% down.

Do you know what caused this issue? More people have same problem but without GOPRO statement.

GOPRO please give us normal statement what is causing this issue and mainly WHEN IT WILL BE FIXED.

GoPro Community Manager

Re: GP 7 black is draining when it is switched Off

@tomasm38460 - It's normal for the battery to lose some charge while in storage. If the battery is completely draining overnight though, it's something our Support team can troubleshoot with you. It could be an issue with the battery or possibly a short somewhere in the connection. Our Support team can be reached at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

@jefft  Why camera needs energy if its completly turned off? I don't understand why the battery drops cca 1% down for every hour during its turned off.

It is obvious that gopro 7 black has a lot of battery issues (there is 49 pages thread "Hero 7 Black Battery Issues").

Everybody says:

• yes  which can drain battery is off (gps,wifi, quick capture,voice control)
  • yes I am using micro SD card from your recomanded card list
  • yes I have last firmware 1.61
  • yes I did update manualy
  • yes I restarted camera to factory reset

and users still have NO answer WHEN you will fix this gradiously draining issue.

GOPRO please give us normal statement what is causing this issue and mainly WHEN IT WILL BE FIXED.

Nomad

Well it happened twice in my case. All super features OFF like you......

My advice: If I want to be sure that camera is going to be off I turn ON beep on LOW level to not disturb - to be sure when is this moment. But I still do not know why after Led blinks and beep off sound, screeen of camera is still ON ~ 7 to 10 sec.

Maybe next update will fix it or maybe it is a mystery of programming ;)

GoPro Community Manager

@tomasm38460 - Many of the battery issues flagged on those other threads were resolved with our latest firmware. If you haven't updated your GoPro lately, please be sure to do that.

As for power drain when the GoPro is off, it's normal for there to be some natural drain from the battery itself. This is a low level of loss that you'd see if the battery is in the GoPro or not. Even environmental factors like keeping the battery in a cold room can drain some power. Finally, the camera itself can be using small amounts of power periodically. This power is used to keep the GoPro's internal clock operating, for example.

One other aspect to keep an eye on is that even if you have turned off the wifi connection on the camera, it's possible that the bluetooth connection is still active in the background. One way to be sure everything is off is to remove the battery from the camera, leave it out for 5 seconds or so, then pop it back in before storing the camera.

Jeff

Tourist

Dear @jefft did you read my posts? Ive mentioned that I have installed latest firmware 1.61 and also I turned off wifi.

You mentioned:"As for power drain when the GoPro is off, it's normal for there to be some natural drain from the battery itself. "
I cant belive that is real GoPros statement to this problem.Do you really mean that 10-15% drain per day in room temperature is "natural drain"?

I red lot of posts about GoPros battery issues and some guy measured temperature of camera when it was turned off - it had radicaly higher temperature compared to temperature if battery was removed.

GoPro Community Manager

My firmware comment was in response to the line in your post about the pages of issues with the battery. Most of those posts were made prior to the firmware update that was released to address those issues.
Tourist

[ Edited ]

@jefftI still dont have solution for my problem.

Today battery had 96%. I turned off the camera. After 4 hours i turned on camera and there was displayed 0% capacity . I removed battery and turned on the camera again. Camera displayed 92% capacity. 

Dear @jefft  how can I resolve this situation? Do you still consider this behaviour as normal?

@jefftyou have to remember that gopros customers arent beta testers! Please give us information how to resolve this problem.

AND my question again (which btw  wasnt still answered): GOPRO please give us normal statement what is causing this issue and mainly WHEN IT WILL BE FIXED.