Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

GOPRO MIC ADAPTER FAIL - CONSTANT SOUND INTERFERENCE!

Hi guys,

Yet again more problems with the GoPro products. Today I bought the GoPro 3.5mm mic adapter compatible with 5 / 6 / 7.

I used it with my GoPro 7 and an Edutige ETM-001 microphone (apparently a popular choice on YouTube). The case I’m using is a ulanzi case which is basically a plastic moulded case with a mic adapter slot underneath the GoPro mount. It’s a great design and even has a hot shoe on top of needed.

https://www.herogear.com.au/ulanzi-vlogging-case-for-gopro-hero7-hero6-hero5-h

The microphone adapter and microphone work, but in very quiet situations with not much background noise, I can distinctly hear sound interference coming from the GoPro itself. It’s like the microphone is picking up the internal workings of the GoPro (I’m guessing the image stabilisation or something? Or just another type of interference from the GoPro)

I’ve tried troublesooting with the following:
- using a rode videomicro mounted on the hot shoe. No interference or issues at all. Obviously because the mic is mounted well away from the GoPro itself
- using the edutige microphone and mic adapter but with the adapter not fitted in the case. No interference or issues here because again the microphone is well away from the GoPro itself
- trying the same setup but with the microphone adapter mounted on the front of the case. Same interference issue with it picking up sound interference from the GoPro.
- tried turning image stabilisation off - did not fix the issue
- tried turning on protune and selecting the different audio options (stereo only and wind only). Did not fix the issue.
- tried the different audio in options (standard mic and standard mic+). Did not fix the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? Link to YouTube video demonstrating the problem:

https://youtu.be/LxlOvtwRFjU

It is such a shame because it is a nice and compact Vlog setup.

I should also note, this is on a brand new GoPro with latest firmware. Brand new because it was just replaced after constant issues with the last unit - freezing/non-responsive lcd/ and finally a flooded front screen.

GoPro seem to still be dropping the ball with product quality.

Any help would be appreciated.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: GOPRO MIC ADAPTER FAIL - CONSTANT SOUND INTERFERENCE!

From what I read:  you said it sounds like it's working and hte gopro internals is still picking up.

Please turn on the camera. swipe Dash-board to Preference. scroll to Imput * output and open.  wit hthe  window open of the camera.  take hte Extnea; mic plug in your  Mic t othe adapter, then the adapter  to the camera exactly what just happened to the N/A?

Didi t change to Standard Mic?  

I ask because we have absolutly no idea if the mic is ON or OFF on the Hero 7, hero 6, Hero 5 and Hero 5 session, Maybe the hero 8  Lol.

if it is    standard Mic then Please do a test in a room that has NO Electronics or ANY RF (radio Frequencies around you. even outside.  and do a mic check.

Load up the video to the site if you d onot want to  ruin your youtube channel use Dropbox.com

and then we  all here on the Forum can further discuss the issue.?

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I didn't explain clearly in the original post.

The mic adapter and external mic are connected working. The Gopro 7 black is showing "audio in" and "standard mic" so it is registering the mic adapter and the external mic.

When I said that it sounds like the external mic is picking up the internal workings of the gopro, I meant the mechanical workings of the Gopro. Watch the video I uploaded - you can hear to constant sound interference that the microphone is picking up. It is either some type of interference from the mic adapter and microphone being too close to the GoPro, or that microphone is picking up very small sounds coming from inside the GoPro.

I was already testing the unit in a room with no electrical interference from other sources. And that seems like a pretty bizarre thing to rule out because I was able to fix the weírd sould simply by removing the gopro mic adapter from the case (in other words, by having the external microphone far away from the GoPro). To make it perfectly clear, I have uploaded a photograph showing 3 different ways I tested the setup:

Setup 1: Gopro inside the case. Mic adapter inside the case. Edutige microphone plugged in and connected. In this case, recorded videos are picking up audio interference (see link in my original post to hear the audio interference).

Setup 2: Gopro inside the case. Mic adapter outside the case but pressed against the front of the Gopro case. Edutige microphone plugged in and connected. In this case, recorded videos are picking up audio interference (see link in my original post to hear the audio interference).

Setup 3: Gopro inside the case. Mic adapter outside the case and hanging far away from the GoPro.Edutige microphone plugged in and connected and far away from the Gopro. In this case, there is NO audio interference.

This means that there is an issue with the external microphone picking up sound coming from the GoPro itself or intereference from them being too close together...

GoPro.jpg
Highlighted
Adventurer

thank you   sounds like its clicking and       Yes can be the mic, the adapter the camera.   you may need to contact gopro or the seller   for a return to warranty.

I  would be upset  and want clean sound. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the details you provided, and the photos you included, @seumas12345. By any chance, is the Wi-Fi enabled on your camera? See if disabling this feature would have any effect. Some tests show that when the camera's Wi-Fi is on (whether live streaming or not), using microphones that do not have strong shielding led to audio issues. We hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Highlighted
Hiker

SOLVED!!!!

@mariustanya great pick up. Although disappointing that this issue occures with plug-in external microphones that are mounted directly into the mic adapter, it is great that there is at least a solution.

I turned off the Wifi of the GoPro 7 black and tested with a couple of videos. The sound interference has gone.

Highlighted
Adventurer

an Old issue for sure with wifi and sound Hero 5 and hero 5 session back when the ycame out so could thisbe an actual ext mic problem yep.

Highlighted
GoPro

Appreciate the update, @seumas12345. Good to know that the there is no more audio issue observed. By any chance, are you using an external microphone on this list? Thanks!