Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GOPRO MAX 360 video to youtube and viewable on Oculus or other VR headsets

[ New ]

Hi,

I am looking for directions to create GoPro max 360 videos and then upload them to Youtube so that they are viewable on VR headsets like the oculus quest/go/rift.

I can upload the videos but they wont work on the oculus quest however they work fine with a smartphone pointed in in any direction.

The videos created on the gopro are .360 file format, when I use GoPro max exporter it then converts them to .MOV file format.

To then upload to youtube you need to use the Special Media Metadata Injector, I select the "My Video is spherical (360)" tick box.

Then inject matadata, See the attachment.

Is there something I am missing or can anybody point me in the correct direction?

Thank you

special media metadata.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: GOPRO MAX 360 video to youtube and viewable on Oculus or other VR headsets

[ New ]

I made a vr video with my GoPro Max for viewing on our Oculus Quest.  After exporting with GoPro MAX Exporter (default Cineform settings) I dropped the video into DaVinci Resolve (allowing resolve to auto adjust the timeline).  I unlinked the scaling and increased the vertical to 1.13, but otherwise left the video unchanged.  On the deliver I chose mp4 (Quicktime h.264) and then rendered the video.  once done, I used the Media Metadata Injector and only selected the top  "My Video is spherical (360)" tick box.  I uploaded this video to YouTube and it plays fine on the Oculus (it's actually pretty amazing).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

try export in H264, as far i know mov is a huge file that takes ages to upload, and H264 has 360 support.

Explorer

[ New ]

I made a vr video with my GoPro Max for viewing on our Oculus Quest.  After exporting with GoPro MAX Exporter (default Cineform settings) I dropped the video into DaVinci Resolve (allowing resolve to auto adjust the timeline).  I unlinked the scaling and increased the vertical to 1.13, but otherwise left the video unchanged.  On the deliver I chose mp4 (Quicktime h.264) and then rendered the video.  once done, I used the Media Metadata Injector and only selected the top  "My Video is spherical (360)" tick box.  I uploaded this video to YouTube and it plays fine on the Oculus (it's actually pretty amazing).

Sightseer

[ New ]

Okay cool - would it also work with Google Cardboard?...

Sightseer

[ New ]

I cannot get the metadata injector to run on my Macbook Pro 2019.  It keeps on saying that they publisher cannot be verified and it will not allow me to open to installer.  Any ideas?

Hiker

[ New ]

My workflow for 360 videos for YouTube, Facebook, Oculus is as follows

• Use the GoPro player on Mac to export into Prores 422 any of the 360 videos I want.
  • Open final cut pro x and import the exported prores files from the first step
  • Edit the clips in final cut as it has native support for 360 videos
  • Export the Final cut finished video in 4k hvec
  • Upload the final export to any of the services and it's done

Here is a Youtube 360 video I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVu0xevSi8

360 Video of the tree jump on the Van Michael trail at Blankets Creek