Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GOPRO HERO 6 ALWAYS FREEZE AFTER UPDATE v01.60 with/without SD CARD

Doing a manual update will overwrite the current firmware, even if it's the same version.
Highlighted
Nomad

Sound like the Sandisk Memory card had a lot of problem with GoPro Hero 6 I got Samsung Memory Card from Best Buy, GoPro Sales assotiate department told me they have lot of problem with the Sandisk on the GoPro. 

Also double check on your screen when you RECORD a video if the video is laggy change the Res and the Fps it will cause the camera turn off by itself, I try it myself it happen to me than I use 1080p 60fps than no problem.

Highlighted
Hiker

My GoPro freezes as well. I'm also on 1.60 and not using an SD Card.

This is a faulty issue that GoPro doesn't want to acknowledge.

There is no way to contact them directly, they outsourced all their technical support to Phillipines.

I suggest you to return your Hero 6. And leave them a 1-star review on Amazon.

Only by doing this we can get them to finally notice us.

Highlighted
Explorer

My Hero6 Black works fine so it's not a universal problem.  Customer service has been very prompt and courteous whenever I've reached out to them.  The first step is to try a manual update with a recommended SD card (SanDisk Exteme, Plus, Pro v30).  If the issue doesn't go away, reach out to the GoPro Support Team during normal business hours.  All times are listed PST so adjust accordingly. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Highlighted
Hiker

Daniel, since you've made more than 5 thousand posts on this forum, and your response is the same that I got from GoPro tech support, I assume that you're part of GoPro staff.

Can you please explain, why does it matter what SD Card you use during the update? From what I understand, only a few files are transferred over to the GoPro during the update. The biggest issue with using "not recommended" SD cards is when the writes to them are slow (and this causes overheating). This should not be the case during the update.
Highlighted
Hiker

I would also like to add, that I'm using my Hero 6 as a 24 hour outdoor camera without an SD Card (i grab the feed via HDMI). In the last days it worked for 3-4 hours tops. Today, it is working for 20+ hours.

How does this correlate with what SD Card I used for the firmware update?
Highlighted
Explorer

I do not work for GoPro, so you are very wrong on that assumption.

You are correct in that write speed is most important during recording and doesn't have an impact on the update. However, when the card is inserted into the camera it is scanned. If there are issues with the card, it can impact the camera performance. There have been instances where people who were using inferior cards would see there cameras freeze up when it got to 2/2 on the update. I'm not saying it will happen, but to ensure the best possible outcome, I always recommend using a card tested to work by GoPro. I actually use Samsung Pro, Lexar 1000x and SandDisk Extreme. Two of those cards are not on the recommended list by GoPro.