Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GOPRO Fusion Quality seem to be poor

[ New ]

The quality of the video and photos seem to be quite poor. Not sure if this is expected, or something wrong with my camera.

I've upload to Youtube and to the Google Street view, the result feels quite dissapointing as you can see below. In comparison to my Google Pixel 2 spheric photo the quality is even far behind.

I'll add as much examples as possible, so someone can confirm is this an expected quality for GOPRO fusion, or something is wrong with my camera.

For YouTube I choose 5K res and CineForm Codec when rendering in the GoPro app, the Fusion settings are on default.

Youtube1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoipVQp10lY
Youtube2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RHx2gy0Ds8 

Youtube3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQpl9y6CJ64

Youtube4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HCdCsr7Ik4

Youtube5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFLUInffP_o 

Streetview1: https://goo.gl/maps/LNqmQSKQByF2
Streetview2: https://goo.gl/maps/9MNiGn2Xya52

Streetview taken with Google Pixel 2: https://goo.gl/maps/h9Y75P6zd542

I have a feeling that those photos and videos isn't what one would expect from GOPRO fusion comparing to the Photo/Videos of other GOPRO users.

I was planing 2 month trip in southern Europe to take some 360 degree videos and prepare a new web 360degree project, but on this point I feel like I had much higher expectations from GOPRO FUSION :( So seems like I won't be able to get max out of that trip as I have planed, if this is actual quality and I'm not missing anything. Looking forward to the answer to find out what/how can be improved.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: GOPRO Fusion Quality seem to be poor

[ New ]

I have to say that quality does look pretty bad and not at all what I get with my own fusions.  It actually looks like you're filming with dirty lenses hence the noticable quality change between stitch lines as your camera switches between the front and rear lenses.

You should make sure you have clean lenses before you begin your shoot.

Always use the protective cover for your camera when it's not in use.

Only clean the lens with a soft microfiber cloth.  Do NOT use your t-shirt, paper towels, tissues etc. to clean your lens.

Do not leave your camera lying down on either of the lenses.

Sounds like simple stuff but you won't believe the amount of people that I've seen putting their camera's face down (on a lens) on a table.  Cleaning a lens with the t-shirt they are wearing, putting the camera in their pocket without a protective cover on it....

Having a very clean pair of lenses will help improve picture quality and stitching artifacts. 

If you use Adobe Premier to edit your files, you may want to avoid using the YouTube presets for upload as they actually seem to reduce the quality even more.  I use a custom profile with a target bitrate of 23 most of the time as it just seems to be the magic number for a quality upload (although found that out a little too late for some of my footage).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]

See for example the blury quality of trees even on 5k, is this expected?

(Screenshot from the first link in the main post)

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.07.55 PM.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @saroyanm. Thank you for sharing. There are recent updates to the Fusion camera firmware, the Fusion Studio software, and the plugins that were released yesterday. The details can be found here https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/fusion-2-0-beta-update-for-your-gopro-fusion . See if updating your camera and Fusion studio will help clear out the issue. Let us know how it works out. Thank you!

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks @mariustanya, wIll try to take some shots with new firmware this week and update you here, hope to see noticable improvement of the quality, with the new update.

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya I have installed new Firmware 2.0 and Fusion Studio 1.4, but here is the problem:

I'm not able to render videos using Fusion Studio 1.4, because an error is always being thrown after roughly 10% progress of renderring proces(See attachment) on every video I try to Render.

Even when I do try to send a report following message: "The upload process failed" is being shown.

Also When rendering for YouTube and Facebook, there is only option for 4k is available, while in the Fusion Studio 1.3 also 5.2k option was available.

So I'm not able to provide a feedback, as more issue seems to be caused by update :(

(Happy to send more screenshots, but I'm able to only attach one to the post)

Let me know if you want me to attach report file or any other data, that might be helpful for your team.

Hope the issues will be fixed and the quality of the GoPro Fusion as well.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 8.49.29 PM.png
GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate all the details you provided, @saroyanm. We will pass this along to the team and we'll keep you posted. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Any outcome with this? I just purhcased the fusion and the video and photo quality is horrible. 

Explorer

[ New ]
How are you rendering your photos/videos and what firmware are you on? Also, what are the lighting conditions and camera settings?
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm rendering them in Fusion Studio 1.4 camera is ver. 1.80 and was just manually updated today as per Gopro when I contacted them, very bright and sunny today with no cloud coverage. Camera settings are 5.2k 30fps, photo is PT on, ISO 800 Raw off. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for the update, @schick2583. Have you also tried installing the firmware v2.0 (Fusion 2.0 Beta Update for your GoPro Fusion) on your camera to see if that will make any difference?

Do you get the same image quality results when playing back the video directly on your computer? Or does the playback shows fine on a computer, but degrades when uploaded to YouTube?

When uploading videos to YouTube, the platform tends to compress the video based on their encoding requisite. If you upload a video that has a resolution of 3840 pixels wide by 2160 pixels high, YouTube will display the 2160p quality option in the settings for your video.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have not tried firmware v2.0 yet, I wasn't sure if that would help, when I spoke with Gopro customer support they didn't mention trying that, he actually told me he was going to warranty the camera but being it's only 10 days old I can still exchange  it at Best Buy, I just want to make sure it's not something that I'm not doing right on my end and having the same issues with the new camera if I do exchange it. The video and pics look the same across the board, on my phone and on the computer, also looks pretty much the same after I render the video compared to pre-rendering. I'm trying to post a pic I just took, I changed the ISO to 100 it was at 800, didn't realize it wasn't automatic, but to me the picture still looks blurry and grainy after it's rendered. The videos I posted to youtube were rendered at 5k I believe so whatever youtube compressed it down to I have no idea, I only get the option to watch it in 1080. But gopro agreed with me that  the videos and pictures didn't look clear like they should. Thanks for the help.

GoPro

[ New ]

@schick2583, we want to ensure that you won't run across the same issue on the replacement camera. When you get your new camera, please manually install the latest firmware update v2.0 before testing it out.

Your time and patience are very much appreciated. Feel free to post back if anything else comes up.

Hiker

[ New ]

Should I exchange it for a different camera or should I try v2.0 on this one? Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

@schick2583, I suggest that you try installing the firmware v2.0. This ensures us that we've done all the possible troubleshooting steps before assuming that it's the camera causing the issue. If this is indeed just a problem with the firmware, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation.

Should you get the same results after redoing the update or updating the camera, you can proceed with what has been suggested by our Support agent.

Hiker

[ New ]

Here's a short clip with the V2.0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFYgvKSv_Rk, a little clearer. I don't know what is normal for this camera, sorry for all the questions. 

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
GoPro

[ New ]

@schick2583, any footage uploaded to social media platforms can be reduced or compressed. The original files would be even higher resolution. Playing back the originally-rendered videos directly on your computer should give you better quality video compared to the compressed video. Note that environmental conditions and lighting can also affect the footage (e.g. shooting at highest quality on broad daylight).

These tips and tricks should help you achieve the optimum functionality of the Fusion camera: Fusion Tips & Tricks

Explorer

[ New ]
Your v2 video looks good.
Sightseer

[ New ]

hey guys im running into the same problem even after rendering the videos are terrible. the footage renders and it looks really bad very grainy and glitchy. im rendering in prores and ive tried all diffrent levels 5.2k 4k etc and it still comes out bad ive updated to 2.0 and fusion 1.4 and im not sure what to do. thanks guys !

Explorer

[ New ]
what are the lighting conditions and camera settings?
Sightseer

[ New ]
I've been running the camera in 5.2k at 30 I am filming mountian biking as I am riding in Whistler bc and the lighting is good it's nice and sunny outside I'm not sure should I try 4k at 60 with this camera ??
Sightseer

[ New ]

okay guys so i got the quality good after rendering i need to use pro res the other two are terrible quality after rendering. but now i cannot view any of the videos in 360 the vr player doesnt work the video exports to a .mov and it doesnt work with the gopro vr player what do i do now ?

i can only view it using quicktime which i cant move around. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @jeffp335

What happens when you attempt to view the videos in the VR player? Is there an error message? Does the application crash? If the VR player does not work and you are unable to view the files, see if you can change the video decoding backend in Preferences, considering the video/image file format supported. There is more information here that might help. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Backpacker

[ New ]

I have to say that quality does look pretty bad and not at all what I get with my own fusions.  It actually looks like you're filming with dirty lenses hence the noticable quality change between stitch lines as your camera switches between the front and rear lenses.

You should make sure you have clean lenses before you begin your shoot.

Always use the protective cover for your camera when it's not in use.

Only clean the lens with a soft microfiber cloth.  Do NOT use your t-shirt, paper towels, tissues etc. to clean your lens.

Do not leave your camera lying down on either of the lenses.

Sounds like simple stuff but you won't believe the amount of people that I've seen putting their camera's face down (on a lens) on a table.  Cleaning a lens with the t-shirt they are wearing, putting the camera in their pocket without a protective cover on it....

Having a very clean pair of lenses will help improve picture quality and stitching artifacts. 

If you use Adobe Premier to edit your files, you may want to avoid using the YouTube presets for upload as they actually seem to reduce the quality even more.  I use a custom profile with a target bitrate of 23 most of the time as it just seems to be the magic number for a quality upload (although found that out a little too late for some of my footage).