Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

GOPRO AFTER GOPRO

Like many avid GoPro enthusiasts, I love having the capability to record and share my activities. I purchased the first GoPro and dive housing and was stoked to share with my family my scuba dives in the Virgin Islands, surfing in Hawaii, and swim with sharks in Florida. Unfortunately, after a year and half the GoPro stopped turning on. I joined the military, and naturally purchased another GoPro to record my deployments. The Hero2 proved to be far better in clarity and smaller than the original. I traveled to Bahrain, Australia, Mexico, Japan, and Dubai. I recorded my deployments, gunshoots, and military action with its infamous fisheye look. My family loved it. However, after 2 years while I was in Guam, the Hero2 stopped turning on.

I returned to my home station in Pearl Harbor and immediately upon return from deployment purchased a Hero 3. I continued my aquatic lifestyle and recorded surfing and diving almost every weekend. I was laughed at for having the GoPro stick with my all the time, but friends were truly jealous of my actions and ability to capture them live. Yet, after a year, the only light I would receive was the blue blinking light of death. I purchased the Hero 3+. It satisfied my needs and the bluetooth transfer and app were much quicker than the 3. Yet, after a year holding the power button down would only get a red light. Each time, I was outside the warranty and forced to buy a new GoPro. 

Finally, I purchased the cheaper Hero. It was cheaper than the rest, but was the newest model. It didn’t have as many MP’s as the 3+ but it allowed me to continue to share actions. But yet again, after a year and half, it has problems. It powers on, but stays recording and does not switch settings. And to much of my dismay, I am starting to see a trend in the GoPro cameras. After the warranty is expelled, the cameras begin to breakdown. With over $2,000 towards cameras, I’d hate to believe GoPro is exploiting my love for the company and its core beliefs in capturing and sharing the stoke of life. I was ecstatic to hear you started a program to take in old go pro’s for a discount, but was saddened to hear you only remove $50. 

Sadly, I do not believe I will buy another. The cameras are expensive and lack longevity. I understand they are action cameras, but I maintained them to the best degree possible and they still stopped working. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GOPRO AFTER GOPRO

Your story is an unfortunate one and a crazy string of bad luck. I completely understand why you feel the way you do, and I am empathetic. Having said that, I think you might have more impact posting this on the GoPro Feedback site and by contacting the GoPro Support Team. This is a member to member support site, so your words will mostly go unoticed by GoPro.

To leave feedback, you can follow this link https://gopro.com/feedback

I wouldn't just leave feedback, but think you should also contact the Support Team. Often they will try to help you out best they can, whether or not you are under warranty with your cameras or not. I'm not saying they will replace your cameras, but if they can help you to get a new camera they most certainly will.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

As far as camera durability, I can only speak to my experience which is mostly different than yours. I too started with the HeroHD and then upgraded to the Hero2. I didn't need to upgrade as my HeroHD was working fine but I wanted the higher fps for filming my surf sessions. I loved my Hero2 and missed it terribly after incorrectly mounting it to my board and losing it out at sea.

After losing the Hero2 I purchased the Hero3 Silver. I can't exactly say I was stoked on this camera as I had a lot of issues with SD card compatability, but for the most part it was a fine replacement to my Hero2 (which I actually liked better).

When the Hero3+ Black came out I was ready for an upgrade and fell in love with that camera. Much more than the Hero3, this camera felt like a big upgrade in video quality. I've definetly gotten my money from this camera as it saw lots of action.

When the Hero4 came out I went with the Silver. I didn't really feel like I needed another camera, but I wanted one with the rear LCD for family trips. The Hero3+ Black remained my "action" camera but the Hero4 Silver perhaps got more abuse as it often fell into the hands of my kids, especially on vacations.

I got a Hero4 Session for my eldest son, which he uses often. It was thrown off a cliff by my youngest and still continues to work today. Speaking of the youngest (now middle) child, he inherited and uses my original HeroHD.

I purchased the Hero5 Session because I liked the form factor and it quickly became my new "action" camera.

I have the Hero5 Black which is mostly used in my Karma drone and Grip.

I also have the Hero6 Black, Fusion, and have recently acquired the Hero2 and a Hero3 Black (both used and relatively cheap).

The only reason I mention all of this is because I use my GoPro cameras a lot. I put them through a lot. I travel with these cameras and use them for surfing, motorcross, rock climbing, mountain biking, and filming just about every family moment. All of my cameras are working to this day.

I'm in no way trying to say that you are alone in your experience or thoughts. There are others who have had issues as well. But, it's important to note that while on a site like this all you mainly see is complaints, most people do not have issues with their GoPro cameras. When they do, they often come here as you have done. That is one of the functions of this support site. We love to give tips and advice on getting the best shot, but mostly we try to help people identify whether or not an issue they are having is due to a camera defect, SD card issue, or just human error. When the issue is beyond us, we refer people to the GoPro Support Team. I strongly suggest you reach out to them.

Regarding the Hero2, Hero3 and Hero3+, do you still have those cameras? If so, there are trouble shooting steps that you can take that might return them to working order. Again, reach out to the support team. If they can't help you, come back and we can run through some things to try.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: GOPRO AFTER GOPRO

Your story is an unfortunate one and a crazy string of bad luck. I completely understand why you feel the way you do, and I am empathetic. Having said that, I think you might have more impact posting this on the GoPro Feedback site and by contacting the GoPro Support Team. This is a member to member support site, so your words will mostly go unoticed by GoPro.

To leave feedback, you can follow this link https://gopro.com/feedback

I wouldn't just leave feedback, but think you should also contact the Support Team. Often they will try to help you out best they can, whether or not you are under warranty with your cameras or not. I'm not saying they will replace your cameras, but if they can help you to get a new camera they most certainly will.

As far as camera durability, I can only speak to my experience which is mostly different than yours. I too started with the HeroHD and then upgraded to the Hero2. I didn't need to upgrade as my HeroHD was working fine but I wanted the higher fps for filming my surf sessions. I loved my Hero2 and missed it terribly after incorrectly mounting it to my board and losing it out at sea.

After losing the Hero2 I purchased the Hero3 Silver. I can't exactly say I was stoked on this camera as I had a lot of issues with SD card compatability, but for the most part it was a fine replacement to my Hero2 (which I actually liked better).

When the Hero3+ Black came out I was ready for an upgrade and fell in love with that camera. Much more than the Hero3, this camera felt like a big upgrade in video quality. I've definetly gotten my money from this camera as it saw lots of action.

When the Hero4 came out I went with the Silver. I didn't really feel like I needed another camera, but I wanted one with the rear LCD for family trips. The Hero3+ Black remained my "action" camera but the Hero4 Silver perhaps got more abuse as it often fell into the hands of my kids, especially on vacations.

I got a Hero4 Session for my eldest son, which he uses often. It was thrown off a cliff by my youngest and still continues to work today. Speaking of the youngest (now middle) child, he inherited and uses my original HeroHD.

I purchased the Hero5 Session because I liked the form factor and it quickly became my new "action" camera.

I have the Hero5 Black which is mostly used in my Karma drone and Grip.

I also have the Hero6 Black, Fusion, and have recently acquired the Hero2 and a Hero3 Black (both used and relatively cheap).

The only reason I mention all of this is because I use my GoPro cameras a lot. I put them through a lot. I travel with these cameras and use them for surfing, motorcross, rock climbing, mountain biking, and filming just about every family moment. All of my cameras are working to this day.

I'm in no way trying to say that you are alone in your experience or thoughts. There are others who have had issues as well. But, it's important to note that while on a site like this all you mainly see is complaints, most people do not have issues with their GoPro cameras. When they do, they often come here as you have done. That is one of the functions of this support site. We love to give tips and advice on getting the best shot, but mostly we try to help people identify whether or not an issue they are having is due to a camera defect, SD card issue, or just human error. When the issue is beyond us, we refer people to the GoPro Support Team. I strongly suggest you reach out to them.

Regarding the Hero2, Hero3 and Hero3+, do you still have those cameras? If so, there are trouble shooting steps that you can take that might return them to working order. Again, reach out to the support team. If they can't help you, come back and we can run through some things to try.