Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

GOPRO 9 Poor Video quality compare to GoPro 7

[ New ]

The video quality is bad compare to the Go pro 7.

I need help 

Thank you 

Hiker

Re: GOPRO 9 Poor Video quality compare to GoPro 7

[ New ]

What do you mean by ‘poor’?

is the colour wrong? Grainy? Shaky? Out of focus?

Hiker

Betreff: GOPRO 9 Poor Video quality compare to GoPro 7

[ New ]

Bad low-light behavior?

Hiker

[ New ]

One of the GoPros are great in low light, but this might help ....

Try limiting the highest iso to 400. If you see coloured spots in dark areas, then GoPro say set it to at least 800. They say that they are going to look into this issue. Actually, I go as low as I can and let the blacks just drop into black.

Try turning stabilisation down or even off. Stabilisation can cause oddities with very slow shutter speeds.

Push the shutter soeed up if you can.

The only thing left is to raise ambient light if you can.

Hiker

[ New ]
Sorry, I meant NONE of the GoPros are great in low light. Can’t find a way to edit posts on here!
Hiker

[ New ]

Check out this video (in 4K) on a proper monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BCQjKV61eU

1:40 horrible face smoothing on hero 9

2:51 look at the red roof of the building. Something wrong with 4K since 5K seems better.

In general 4K image looks very overprocessed and worse than hero 8.

Test of the Image Quality of the GoPro Hero 9 and comparison with the GoPro Hero 8. Review of the 5K image, detail, dynamic range, colors and the low light p...
Hiker

[ New ]

It also occurred to me that details were being lost.
Even if I record at a high bit rate.

Tourist

[ New ]

The video quality is nor clear at all night or day .

4k or 5k looks like 1080p even the bitrate is high

Tourist

[ New ]
Same here. Images are too digitaly sharpened compared to hero 7 or 8. It just looks worse than any of the iPhones. Just poor.
Tourist

[ New ]

That's the same problem I'm having 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same. Video quality is very bad.

Nomad

[ New ]

yeah not a fan of my Hero 9 at all, cool gimics and all but if the end result isn't up to speed then whats the point, i liked the 8 but the non removalbe lens dirtbiking was fraught with danger so sold that 2 months in.

selling my 5 week old Hero 9 as the 30 day return is up (and gopro support haven't replied...... suprise suprise) and buying a 2nd hand hero 7 that works with my remote till something decent comes out... osmo action v2 i'll be watching out for or something different... gopro don't have anything to really differentiate themselves with now - such a shame...

I can't beleive Gopro who only make "ONE" camera and focus all their attention on it a WHOLE year can't get it right....... they're not Sony, LG, Panasonic or samsung who have their fingers in so many pies you need to choose where to focus for the year. Come on gopro your ONE AND ONLY product is a total flaw

Hiker

[ New ]

I’ve given up with mine too. Popping audio on internal mics. Freezes and crashes. Sometimes odd colour. Hopefully external audio without that cage with supposed directional mics inside.

i’m not going on waiting for updates to fix what shouldn’t be there in the  first place.

Moved on to Action and Pocket 2. Both more reliable in all respects.

Tourist

[ New ]

The same here, just have a look to my review

Tourist

[ New ]

+1

Image quality from GOPRO 9 is simply bad. An old GOPRO 5 makes batter videos.

This especially noticable when combining GOPRO videos with videos from other devices, like DJI drones or an iPhone.
Hypersmooth Boost mode makes videos even worse. If you want stabilization - have to stick with the lowest "on" mode.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm afraid I have to agree. Very disappointed with the overall video quality.

I ran numerous tests comparing the 9 to the 7. At one point I realized that the fact I have to keep testing is already ridiculous. The 9 should outperform the 7 by a mile, but the ugly truth is: it doesn't!

I think the HERO 9 has great potential with all it's nice gimmicks. However, it looks to me they are over processing the image with all kinds of 'magic' (perhaps to make it look better) and failed.

I am convinced they can fix this with firmware because I actually found one 'secret' setting that produces stunning image quality that we would all expect.

Patiently awaiting the next firmware update before I start writing bad review(s).

Hiker

[ New ]

@seriousaction 

exactly. I own H7 and i almost sold it away.  Luckily i realized soon enough that there is something seriously wrong with the H9.

When you compare the image quality, there is no way they are using better sensor.  Its the same quality, but oversharpened and with lots of noise. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello!

Image quality improvements were included in the last update.

If you haven't yet, please run a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

You may also reach out to our Support Team for further assistance.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Image quality got a bit improved in the latest update but it's still not that good. Especially 4k60 with high sharpening is horrible. I get decent image with medium sharpening and doing sharpening in post processing though, but the processing in the camera is quite crappy.

The new 5k sensor is still not utilized as it should be. Initially the image quality was worse that previous Gopros and now it's almost on the same level. But it should be better due to the improved sensor, but I guess the sensor is not that good after all. Just marketing hype with 5K. My last Gopro, definitely. I feel cheated.

Tourist

[ New ]

This update is almost 2 month old. It didn't solve image quality issues.