Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: GOPRO 8 gets too hot to hold and freezes often

[ New ]

Yes, this may be true.  Before my first firmware update, I didn't ever notice it getting this hot.  after the latest firmware it often gets VERY VERY hot.  over 130 degrees sometimes.  Too hot to be safe.

Hiker

[ New ]

@cinefilul no not quite.  I was speaking to GoPro staff and answering them...and tried to comment and DISMISS my reply, as if it were to you directly.

So please don't be rude; and when you are rude, don't be surprised when someobody calls you out on it.

Hiker

[ New ]

**** UPDATE ****

SPOKE WITH GOPRO...after a bit of wasting my time, they finally openly admit that there is KNOWN hardware issues with the GoPro Hero 8 that cause overheating...and that its been known since the end of 2019.

So all this BS troule shooting and "victim blaming" trying to make it sound like maybe we are doing something wrong...turns out its the camera all along and they knew it.  They are just trying to avoid having to replace them all it seems by sending customers on a wild goose chase of useless "tech support."

They had me test my camera in many different ways and tried blaming the battery....tried blaming the memory card, tried blaming the wifi connection, etc.  But guess what....camera still dramtically overheated even without battery, memory card, or wifi just plugged in with their charger....overheated in realttime while on the phone to them and I sent them visuals of the temp read-outs.  When it finally hit 115 degrees while doing NOTHING with the camera...just sitting there....that's when he finally admited that they knew there was a hardware issue with this model and its probalby that....are you kidding me???

Now I have to send in my camaera....and wait 3-4 weeks to get it back....but I will miss having it for my trip now...the whole reason I bought it in the first place!   And they refuse to expedite the process, even though I am 20 minutes from their headquarters.
To Sumamrize, they have hundreds of my dollars, and will have my broken camera....and I will have NOTHING for my trip, and they just more or less shurgged at me and told me I am out of luck....unbelieveable!

Hiker

[ New ]

Turns out its a hardware issue that they've known about since the end of 2019.  Which explaiuns why there are hundreds of users on the forums complaining about this, nevermind the many times more than that that don't take the time to post.

I spent almost 2 hours talking with them and them trying to blame me in every possible way for the overheating and testing the camera in every possible way.  And my camera overehated to over 115 degrees doing NOTHING, while talking to them!  And finally the guy I'm talking to just flat out admits it is actually a "known hardware issue."  So it would seem all that useless fake tech support and trouble shooting is just designed to discourage you from getting your camera replaced for an issue they ALREADY know about.

And to add insult to injury I have to wait 2-3 weeks minimum while the replace it and will miss the trip I bought it for.  Nevermind they are located 20 minutes from my house, they refused to expedite it.

PS GOPRO
I've checked your forum guildliens, this post doesn't violate any of them.  So if you delete this again it only proves you are trying to hide the truth from people.  Which won't look good for you legally.  I'm keeping track of this for records.

Tourist

[ New ]

Not exactly the first post I was hoping to read on this forum especially after buying a black 8 a week ago.

Does this happen with all cameras ?

I will also be tracking this post, not happy at all

Tourist

[ New ]

You now why youre camera drops from 100% down to 73? Because sometimes your camera want not to sleep and keps turning on itself sporadically. You may see thread:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-8-keeps-turning-itself-on/td-p/433144/page/14

Hiker

[ New ]

I would like to think that the newer cameras don't have this issue...BUT I got mine roughly 2 months ago.

Hiker

[ New ]

AND now we know the REAL reason they declined to fix this issue for the past 11+ months.  They were already planning to replace it with the Hero 9...so to them, why bother fixing the 8.  smh...