Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

GOPRO 8 gets too hot to hold and freezes often

I see MANY people with this issue but GoPro team doesn't post any soloution just suggest camera is bad.

A couple month ago, I bought my first GoPro, two of them in fact GoPro 8 and MAX, I also bought the GoPRO plus insurance program for both.

I have been experiencing the following problems:

- The camera freezes - even if i have battery, sometimes when i push the power button to turn it on nothing happens, no other button fuctions and i need to take the battery out and back in to make it work.

-The camera gets VERY VERY hot - even when just charging. Because of the battery life, i didn't  use it outside too much until now.

• After just a few minues of use or wifi syncing it becomes hot enough to burn my hand.
  • This kind of heat issue has to be damaging the camera, battery, and SD card lifespan.  Everything I'm using is official GoPro.
  • Also happens when I use GoPro Media Mod and Clear Protective Case, or no cover at all.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: GOPRO 8 gets too hot to hold and freezes often

Turns out its a hardware issue that they've known about since the end of 2019.  Which explaiuns why there are hundreds of users on the forums complaining about this, nevermind the many times more than that that don't take the time to post.

I spent almost 2 hours talking with them and them trying to blame me in every possible way for the overheating and testing the camera in every possible way.  And my camera overehated to over 115 degrees doing NOTHING, while talking to them!  And finally the guy I'm talking to just flat out admits it is actually a "known hardware issue."  So it would seem all that useless fake tech support and trouble shooting is just designed to discourage you from getting your camera replaced for an issue they ALREADY know about.

And to add insult to injury I have to wait 2-3 weeks minimum while the replace it and will miss the trip I bought it for.  Nevermind they are located 20 minutes from my house, they refused to expedite it.

PS GOPRO
I've checked your forum guildliens, this post doesn't violate any of them.  So if you delete this again it only proves you are trying to hide the truth from people.  Which won't look good for you legally.  I'm keeping track of this for records.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Hiker

Happens when shooting HD or 4K.  Even happens when not shooting at all, happens when camera is "idle" or syncing with phone.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @chuckcxr

It is not unusual for the camera to warm up while charging or when in use. 

It is important that the camera is updated to the latest firmware. If you haven't done it yet, follow the steps under Manual Update here. After the update, perform a factory reset. This will help clear any possible error with the current installation. 

You may also check these links:

Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures

Camera Freezes Up

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

yea firmware update isn't the issue, its up to date and always has been.

And I don't think you actually read my post either.  I never said "warm" I said "VERY VERY HOT" as in burn your hands hot...as in any hotter and you guys would be looking at a lawsuit.

And the six other past posts (all unresovled) about this same issue, the GoPro team said this is NOT NORMAL.  So your casual uncaring response seems even more out of place all things considered.  I didn't spend close to $1k on my GoPro's to get defective junk and support that shrugs their shoulders and gives me a useless canned reply.  I would kindly ask that you put a little effort into this.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Tourist

In my case, I am sure that if I place those metal blades from the borrom of my camera tomy face, I will get a tatoo. This is not a jocke. I will try to measure the temperature andlet you know...

Highlighted
Hiker

GoPro staff still ignoring this issue....are they trying to ignore it until waranties run out?  We've seen that shady tactic before...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @chuckcxr and @cinefilul. Considering that the camera has already been updated and is using a recommended SD card, the other possible causes for the unusually high temperature are defects in either the battery or the camera, charging the camera with a non-recommended charger, using the camera while connected with the GoPro App, recording in a high-performance mode. 

For cameras that feature unique high-performance video modes: 2.7K and higher resolutions, and/or frame rates above 60fps, it is normal for the camera to become warm and use more power when using these modes. These tips will help improve camera performance. 

If this is not the case though, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team so they can troubleshoot the issue further with you. To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Highlighted
Hiker

You guys keep tossing around the word "warm" but that is NOT what we are saying.  Nobody here is confused over a "warm" camera.  This thing is HOT.  HOT to the point where my children can't bear to hold it.  I don't apprecaite you deliverately trying to downplay my concert by purposely using incorrect description of the situation.  And as Stated before, I am using only the official GoPro hardware.  So you can't blame this on a phantom 3rd party.