Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

GO PRO HERO 6 EXTERNAL POWER SOURCE

With my new Go Pro 6 i'm limited to a 3 hour time lapse as you can only use the internal battery. If you add an external battery or power source the camera will charge the internal battery but will not allow you to record footage at the same time. Can anyone help me resolve this limitation on time lapse shooting? Many thanks!

Simon

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: GO PRO HERO 6 EXTERNAL POWER SOURCE

i use my Hero 4 for time/night lapse, but i normally take the internal battery out & have it purely running off the external power source

Highlighted
Nomad

As @duanem8 said, the only way is to take the battery out and to have it constantly plugged in.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi all, thank you for all your advise. I've now solved the problem. It was my (low quality) 32GB memory card that was corrupting the footage and swithing off the camera. Now I'm using a Sandisk 64GB Extreme Plus card and I have no problems doing extended time lapse using an external power cable. You also don't have to take out the battery, i leave it in the camera. 

Highlighted
Tourist

If you're running power via the USB, is there a way to remove the door to the usb port? Because the flap is sticking out, I can't use my mounting stuff.

Is it possible to run power AND have the mount around the camera? 

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@gumby1134 - Yes, you can remove that side door. Here's a video I did for the HERO5, but it's the exact same process for the HERO6. Once the door is removed, you can put the camera in the frame and connect the USB-C supplying the power through the hole in the side of the frame.

Thanks,

Jeff